PDA

View Full Version : Main Window initialisation

rno
4th July 2011, 12:55
Hi,

My gui has 3 buttons for selecting a directory if required, a button for opening data files and a button for saving a text files (all opening a Qfiledialog dialog).

During the main window initialization I want to change the label of the directory selecting button to the application starting directory (code below)

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
QMainWindow(parent), ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
{
ui->setupUi(this);
QDir CurrentDir;
ui->m_Button_Select_Directory->setText(CurrentDir.currentPath());
}

The gui starts with the label changed to the gui starting directory.

My problem is when I clicked either the opening or saving files button the directory picking button is reset to its design value.

Clicking on any other buttons/tabs has not effect. Could it be a Qfiledialog problem?

Can someone point out to the possible problem here?

stampede
4th July 2011, 13:00
Why do you think that opening a file dialog will change the button label in your custom ui ? It's more probable that you have setText() call somewhere else in your code.

rno
4th July 2011, 13:34
Also I noticed that if I change the mainwindow title it is reset to "mainwindow" if I clicked any of the 3 buttons openinf a Qfiledialog dialog.

FelixB
4th July 2011, 13:43
then something is wrong with the slot you're calling when clicking the button. you probably re-initialize your gui.

rno
4th July 2011, 14:42
Hi,

I have done some test and it is the use of Qfiledialog static functions: getExistingDirectory
getOpenFileName
getSaveFileName

that seems to trigger once a reset of the gui. What's weird is that it happens only once.

the slots seems fine if I remove the call to Qfiledialog static functions getExistingDirectory, getOpenFileName or getSaveFileName nothing happens.

Why do you think that opening a file dialog will change the button label in your custom ui ? It's more probable that you have setText() call somewhere else in your code.

I checked all my settext and none would explain this behaviour. I also noticed that the gui title is rest to "mainwindow"

FelixB
4th July 2011, 14:44
show relevant code, please...

rno
4th July 2011, 19:52
Hi,

So to avoid confusion and to make it simple I created a simple example with 2 buttons and that's all. The code was first created by QT creator (QT4 gui application) all default settings. Then 2 buttons were added to the gui with qt designer. Finally one slot created in creator using the option "go to slot".

here is main.cpp

#include <QtGui/QApplication>
#include "mainwindow.h"

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
QApplication a(argc, argv);
MainWindow w;
w.show();
return a.exec();
}

mainwindow.cpp

#include "mainwindow.h"
#include "ui_mainwindow.h"
#include <QtGui>

MainWindow::MainWindow(QWidget *parent) :
QMainWindow(parent),
ui(new Ui::MainWindow)
{
ui->setupUi(this);
ui->pushButton->setText("I changed the text");
setWindowTitle("This is the title I would like to be");
}

MainWindow::~MainWindow()
{
delete ui;
}

void MainWindow::changeEvent(QEvent *e)
{
QMainWindow::changeEvent(e);
switch (e->type()) {
case QEvent::LanguageChange:
ui->retranslateUi(this);
break;
default:
break;
}
}

void MainWindow::on_pushButton_2_clicked()
{
QFileDialog mydialog;
QString fn = mydialog.getOpenFileName(this, tr("Open File"),"/home",tr("Images (*.png *.xpm *.jpg)"));
}

mainwindow.h

#ifndef MAINWINDOW_H
#define MAINWINDOW_H

#include <QMainWindow>

namespace Ui {
class MainWindow;
}

class MainWindow : public QMainWindow {
Q_OBJECT
public:
MainWindow(QWidget *parent = 0);
~MainWindow();

protected:
void changeEvent(QEvent *e);

private:
Ui::MainWindow *ui;

private slots:
void on_pushButton_2_clicked();
};

#endif // MAINWINDOW_H

And here is what's happening: when selecting the second button opening a qfiledialogue using static function getopenfilename the label of the first button and the window title are reset (using dynamic qfiledialog does the same as far as I can tell).

Either there is something I am missing due to my lack of knowledge or this is a bug.

stampede
4th July 2011, 20:21
Can you prepare and attach compilable example (I mean all needed files, .cpp, .h and .ui) so we can test it ?
edit:
and can you verify that LanguageChange event is not triggered ? I think all strings will be replaced to defaults set in designer if you call ui->retranslateUi(), you should place all setText(), setTitle() etc. code to be called in event handler in case of LanguageChange event.

rno
5th July 2011, 10:11
Hi,

Here are the files.

Yes the retranslate is the problem. This is automatically generated by Qt creator wizard and it did not bother me until now.

I am not quite sure yet to understand the way that this language event loop works or the possible benefits for my gui. My gui is intended to a scientific audience who use english as main working/communication language so I would comment out this retranslate command for the time being.

stampede
5th July 2011, 10:29
You don't have to comment out anything, just set new strings and window titles in event handler during LanguageChange event:

void MainWindow::changeEvent(QEvent *e)
{
QMainWindow::changeEvent(e);
switch (e->type()) {
case QEvent::LanguageChange:
this->retranslate();
break;
default:
break;
}
}

void MainWindow::retranslate(){
ui->retranslateUi(this);
ui->pushButton->setText(tr("I changed the text"));
setWindowTitle(tr("This is the title I would like to be"));
}

In constructor call this->retranslate() and its done.