PDA

View Full Version : error: section .data loaded overlaps section .rodata load

aya_lawliet
9th August 2011, 18:22
Hi,

Greetings! May I ask for a little help in QML. I encountered an error upon running in Symbian Device:

:-1: error: section .data loaded at [00400000,00400003] overlaps section .rodata loaded at [0000a208,006b3e23]

can anybody tell me what this error means? Or how to fix this?

Here are the other compile output i found (the ones in red) that is probably related to the error i mentioned.

arm-none-symbianelf-ld: section .data loaded at [00400000,00400003] overlaps section .rodata loaded at [0000a208,006b3e23]
make[2]: *** [\QtSDK\Symbian\SDKs\Symbian1Qt473\epoc32\release\g cce\urel\TheMagicalShirt.exe] Error 1
make[1]: *** [TARGETTHEMAGICALSHIRT_EXE] Error 2

Thanks a lot. Also, I've already had the code working on symbian device before. But I need to test using the resource file (qrc) instead of using just the path to the resources(images, xml file), so i created a different project which is just the same, only that it uses the qrc file. It ran on desktop, and simulator, but it encountered the error above upon running in symbian device.

mvuori
9th August 2011, 18:45
See http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Discussion/showthread.php?223006-.exe-section-.data-loaded-at-00400000-00400003-overlaps-section-.ARM.extab-loaded

There might be a couple of implied important lessons here:
1) Symbian devices have varying capabilities and more often than not very low amounts of RAM, so: Specify the device... there is no such thing as a generic Symbian device; If the device has 256 kB or less, it might be a clue
2) It is good that linker bugs perhaps mirror this deficiency with errors already at link stage, so when having such errors, large "anything" could be suspected
3) When there are compiler / linker errors, it really is no surprise if the application fails at runtime... most would not even try...

Perhaps some trimming of the qrc file could help, if you can't get rid of it altogether.

aya_lawliet
10th August 2011, 07:16
Thank you very much. The solution on the link you provided worked for me. Though I encountered out of memory error while running the app on the device. BTW, the symbian device I tested the app on was N8.

May I also ask if Qt compresses resources on the qrc file? Currently, I am using a lot of images (the app is a storybook app), which causes the application file size huge. I just tried using qrc just now. Before I only use the path to the images (ex. "../images/image1.jpg").

Thank you very much for the help and hints. :)