PDA

View Full Version : 'Continue' in games help!

bmn
16th August 2011, 13:25
I'm currently developing a game wherein you can press 'New Game' to execute a new game and 'Continue' to continue the game if ever the user decides to finish it later.

Is there any easy way to do the 'Continue' feature?

I'm currently using the offline qml database storage to load information to the application. I would want to utilize this as well for my 'Continue' feature but as far as I know, resource files are read-only, therefore uneditable.

EDIT: My application will be deployed in phones with Symbian OS.

stampede
16th August 2011, 14:09
Is there any easy way to do the 'Continue' feature?
It depends on the game internal structure and data types used, so its hard to help you more at this point. Dump the current game state to the file and read it back when user clicks "continue". You can use, for example, QDataStream for that.

bmn
16th August 2011, 15:02
It depends on the game internal structure and data types used, so its hard to help you more at this point. Dump the current game state to the file and read it back when user clicks "continue". You can use, for example, QDataStream for that.

I see, I see. Another question, is there anyway to do the 'Continue' feature without using any of the Qt classes or by just using pure QML and Javascript? Thanks!

wysota
17th August 2011, 22:55
You have to physically touch the filesystem of your device and QML is not fit for that. You could teach it to do that but you'd need to write a plugin for QML in C++.