PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to QT now after Nokia and Microsoft agreement?

ricardo
6th September 2011, 11:29
Hello mates!

I'm evaluating QT to develop a multiplatform app.
Evidently, the library and tools are wonderful and mature, but I have an important question:
What will happen to QT now after Nokia and Microsoft agreement?
Is there any possibility that Nokia discontinues QT development?
Technically QT is OK, but from the business point of view, these questions are important to decide if I use QT or not.

Thanks in advance.

SixDegrees
6th September 2011, 23:12
Qt started as a collection of widgets for use on the desktop, and spent most of its life in that environment. The addition of mobile platforms is very recent and makes up only a small portion of Qt's capabilities.

Nokia owns it and seems willing to support it. But if it is dropped, the most likely outcome will be a move to the open source realm. Whether it can prosper there is uncertain. If Nokia decides to abandon it but not release control, then it will vanish. Or at least any future support and development will.

But there's simply no way of knowing what will happen. Even if Nokia announces full, unqualified, never-ending support for Qt, that could change in a heartbeat with different management or changing economic circumstances.

Development of mobile portions of Qt, though, will almost certainly not be going forward, although what's already there will continue to be available.

ricardo
7th September 2011, 09:41
Qt started as a collection of widgets for use on the desktop, and spent most of its life in that environment. The addition of mobile platforms is very recent and makes up only a small portion of Qt's capabilities.

Nokia owns it and seems willing to support it. But if it is dropped, the most likely outcome will be a move to the open source realm. Whether it can prosper there is uncertain. If Nokia decides to abandon it but not release control, then it will vanish. Or at least any future support and development will.

But there's simply no way of knowing what will happen. Even if Nokia announces full, unqualified, never-ending support for Qt, that could change in a heartbeat with different management or changing economic circumstances.

Development of mobile portions of Qt, though, will almost certainly not be going forward, although what's already there will continue to be available.

Thanks for reply.
I forgot to say I have to develop a desktop app for Win/Mac. I'm not interested in mobile applications.
I'm really interesting in what will happen to former qt company, trolltech, after nokia/microsoft agreement.

Thanks!