PDA

View Full Version : Install a C++ compiler

Chisum
15th September 2011, 23:40
I have installed the most recent version of QtSDK into my user/chisum/qtsdk on a PCLOS Linux machine. All went fine but it gave me a message about needing to use the "you need a compiler" message. So where is the Software Package Management tools.

wysota
16th September 2011, 00:09
You need to install a compiler from your Linux distribution, preferably GCC (or actually G++).

Chisum
16th September 2011, 02:48
Hi wysota. Been a couple of years. I have been working in Java hell. Now back to Qt. Actually, it has the latest GCC installed. But my install of Qt lives in user/chisum/ and cannot seem to see the compiler outside of user space. Because I have an older computer that has a S3 graphic processor that x.org no longer supports, I am doing this a little on the outlaw from my distro. And the Qt offering from the PCLOS groups is really bad. It only includes Qt Creator 2.1 with only the one help file for Creator included. Useless and out of date.

The computer a HP does not have a PCI Express slot, so I cannot find a graphics card to use.

gary

ChrisW67
16th September 2011, 04:46
The location of the Qt install is not relevant to whether the compiler is usable or not. Open a terminal as your user. Type "gcc -v" or "g++ -v" and report what happens. I expect something like "Command not found" and that you need to ensure that the compiler is in your PATH.

Qt Creator 2.1 is hardly useless and not far "out of date". You need to tell Qt Creator where it can find the Qt install(s) on your machine, especially if qmake is not in the system PATH.