PDA

View Full Version : show a hidden widget, then hide but get same man window size

Algos
28th September 2011, 04:09
I am developing an application that shows some graphics in a main window. It is dialog based application. One of the widgets showing some graphics is to be hidden as default and to be shown only if a user opts to show it.

I have the application laid out and I have selected the widgets to appear in a grid layout so that they resize as the window is resized.

The problem is that when I show my hidden widget, the main application window enlarges to accommodate that widget. But when I hide that widget again, the main window does not shrink back to its original size.

I have attached an example application that shows this behavior. The application has two widgets arranged in a vertical layout. The top is a large label, the bottom widget is the graphics widget, initially hidden. Choosing to show the widget from the menu shows it, and toggling that menu hides it.

So how do I make my application window resize back to its original position after I hide widget?

Thanks.

ChrisW67
28th September 2011, 06:10
Look at the Extension Dialog example.

Algos
1st October 2011, 22:18
Thanks for pointing to that example. I followed the example's idea, but I am still not able to keep the original size of my main window by showing and hiding the graphic widget. What might I be missing?

Zlatomir
1st October 2011, 23:03
Do you mean that the dialog doesn't get smaller when you hide the "extension"?
If yes you most likely ignored this line: mainLayout->setSizeConstraint(QLayout::SetFixedSize);

LE: i don't know how you can make a manually resize-able dialog to automatically behave like in the example (i think you might need to set the "older" size values after you hide the "extended" widget)

Algos
2nd October 2011, 00:20
Yes, I am trying to get the window to shrink back to its original size. Also, my main window is resizable. Is there an example I can refer to that does what I am trying to perform?