PDA

View Full Version : Creating a eBook/ePaper reader inside an application

Momergil
11th October 2011, 00:36
Hello!

I'm planning to create a eBook/ePaper reader (such as Adobe Reader) to be put inside an aplication (in the QMainWindow, to be more precise), but I have absolutely no idea of how to do it. The desire is to have the window with a QTreeWidget in the left size, where all the eBooks and ePapers in a given folder would be showed by theyr name and, once the user double click in the name, the software would open the eBook in the right side with a SlideBar, zoom, and maybe something more. For the time being, only pdf.

But what should I do? Which class am I supposed to use? QWidget? Scroll Area? QFrame? QGraphicsView?

I noticed the Nokia post (http://www.developer.nokia.com/Community/Wiki/Simple_QML_EBook_Reader), but it uses QML which I don't want to use.

Another option would be to open Adobe Reader inside my software, as an application inside another, but I don't know how to do that ether and I don't like the idea that my software would be depended on another software to work.

I would be glad if somebody could give me at least the "path of the stones" regarding this, or else point to some examples already done in Qt so I could study them.

Thanks!

Momergil

ChrisW67
11th October 2011, 03:30
Start by finding something to display a PDF that you can incorporate into the project (consider the licenses also). Once you know how that works, and how to incorporate it into a simple Qt project, then you can start to ponder how to make its output appear inside a Qt widget.

Momergil
11th October 2011, 18:23
Start by finding something to display a PDF that you can incorporate into the project (consider the licenses also). Once you know how that works, and how to incorporate it into a simple Qt project, then you can start to ponder how to make its output appear inside a Qt widget.

Hmmm, no idea how to do the reader by myself? As I sad, it will still be better if I could create a pdf reader in my software rather than calling and external app.

Momergil

wysota
11th October 2011, 21:47
So it's either poppler or parsing and rendering pdf files yourself. The project you mentioned in your original post only handled HTML and not PDF.

Momergil
13th October 2011, 15:14
So it's either poppler or parsing and rendering pdf files yourself. The project you mentioned in your original post only handled HTML and not PDF.

Hello wysota,

Well, I'm not sure if I understood what you sad, specially your comment that "The project you mentioned in your original post only handled HTML and not PDF.", since I explicitaly mentioned "pdf" in my post (4th text line).

wysota
13th October 2011, 15:25
You posted a link to a "Nokia post" which "uses QML which you don't want to use". So first you want to handle PDF and not HTML which makes the post totally irrelevant to your problem (regardless if it uses QML or smoke signals). Instead of worrying about what widgets to use, you should answer the question "how do I parse PDF files?"