PDA

View Full Version : Dialog Modality - Tutorial Needed

Michael Druckenmiller Sr
13th October 2011, 14:34
I am using pyQT 4.8.5 with Python 2.7.2 with no add-ins. GPL versions.
At this time I am developing on Windows Xp SP3 and my code also runs on Windows 7. I need to maintain cross-platform capability to include Linux.

I am not clear on setting up True Modal with my Dialogs.

In QT Designer it gives three choices:
Non-Modal
Window Modal
Application Modal

I am not sure what the difference is between Window Modal and Application Modal?

(I would appreciate an explanation of what each actually does or sets up.)

I know exec_ will place the Dialog in its GUI Loop (for want of a better term)

The problem I am having, is that, while everything appears to "freeze" until the dialog closes I can still click on my Main Form and have yet another Dialog Pop-Up.

This is NOT what I want.

I *think* my problem is in my constructor, which I am borrowing from "Rapid GUI Programming with Python and QT" by Mark Summerfield.

def __init__(self, text, parent=None):
super(Oper_Comnt, self).__init__(parent)
self.__index = 0
self.setupUi(self)
self.setModal(True)

I note that my parent=None.

I suspect that I need to make my parent equal to my main form?

If this is so where do I get the information to make parent equal to my main form?

And, which Modal Property setting should I be using?

Thanks

Mike Sr.

wysota
13th October 2011, 15:42
I am not sure what the difference is between Window Modal and Application Modal?
WindowModal blocks the parent window of the modal dialog, ApplicationModal blocks all top-level windows of the application.

The problem I am having, is that, while everything appears to "freeze" until the dialog closes I can still click on my Main Form and have yet another Dialog Pop-Up.
Then use ApplicationModal and call exec().

Michael Druckenmiller Sr
13th October 2011, 16:00
So, if I am using parent=None, application modal "should" block eveything else until the dialog is closed. correct?

But, would setting parent=mainWindow allow Window Modal to work as well?

I had two of my dialogs set to Window Modal they are now set to Application Modal.

Thanks,

wysota
13th October 2011, 16:03
So, if I am using parent=None, application modal "should" block eveything else until the dialog is closed. correct?
Yes.

But, would setting parent=mainWindow allow Window Modal to work as well?
Yes, and that's a correct approach.

Michael Druckenmiller Sr
13th October 2011, 16:49
Great...

:)

Now all I need to do is *LEARN* what value to use to identify my Main Window.

(You do know that VB-6 isn't ~really~ an OO language, right? :)

And. !please! don't tell me I need to use an hwnd (in Windows)!

Time to experiment... What's the worst that could happen? Seeing that I do make frequent backups. :)

wysota
13th October 2011, 19:39
I'm not sure what the problem is. Usually you create dialogs from within code belonging to other widgets or objects that have a handle (like a pointer in c++) to the widget so it's just a matter of passing it to the dialog's constructor. If you can't get such handle then you can use QApplication::topLevelWindows() to query for all application windows.