PDA

View Full Version : How to do a superclean install of QT 4.7.4

lsatenstein
8th November 2011, 17:49
Before responding with advice, here is my situation. I programmed in C for 20 years, never did object oriented design. At Christmas I immersed myself in C++, and in August, I downloaded via UBUNTU and FEDORA systems, their QT installation files. A program was written by one of my system interns, but he has returned to University without wanting to further support the software or enhancements.

Using Ubuntu, we have 4.6.x libraries, and using Fedora we have 4.7.x libraries. I experience problems that the 4.6 stuff does not run on 4.7 based environments and vice-versa. binaries are Linux vendor or release dependent.

This is a problem to me. I am trying to develop embedded QT stuff, after proper testing with either Fedora or Ubuntu. I also see that there are static library builds.

Since I want to be current with QT, I have a request for installation help and if for the future Qt has a standardized installation for Debian or Redhat. Currently from the Sept 1 download I run the SDK, but after that I run I find that the qmake and libraries are from another Qt version.
Today I took a netbook system, wiped it clean and reinstalled UBUNTU long term support package. I now ask for help to do a by-the-book installation of QT4.74 using the website information. But the Qt information is not centralized*.

Can there not be a single DEB file or a single RPM file that one can use for Linux? This single file will do for both the software and library installations, and take away much frustration.

So, here I go again with a request for help with setting up a clean Qt installation.

MaKo
8th November 2011, 18:31
You mean that Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora or any other Linux distribution contain different Qt version? That may well be true, and in that case, you don't install Qt from distributions' repository, instead you install it via http://qt.nokia.com/downloads (choosing the right online installer) and you should get same versions to both machines. You have administrator access rights for both (all) machines you are using? Or did I miss something?

wysota
9th November 2011, 03:31
Both Debian and Fedora arw Linix Standard Base (LSB) compliant so it should be possible to run a binary built on one system on the other. However you must make sure the build is done in LSB compliant way. Be aware that different distros might apply different patches to Qt so it is best to build abd test your app against a vanilla flavour of Qt. Running a binary built against 4.6 on a system equipped with Qt 4.7 should work. It won't work the other way round.