PDA

View Full Version : Draw a 3d Animated Body Skeleton? Libraries/tools to use?

breotone
20th March 2012, 18:10
Hi!

I am recording some videos using the Kinect. By using OpenNI I can extract the skeleton from the video files. Once I have this Skeleton, I create a binary file with the position of every join, and the time stamps as well as the framerate (cause it can be variable).

Now it comes my question: I would like to create a 3d map for drawing the skeleton into it and of course make the animation. It should be possible to rotate the scenario (in real time) while the skeleton is moving (or just set 3 or 4 different views, should be fine as well).

Do you have any idea about what should I use? I was taking a look into the OpenGL for QT and it looks complicated and time-consuming... do you any other specific tool?

And as a side question, would it be easier to do in MATLAB?

Thank you in advance!!

high_flyer
21st March 2012, 13:23
Do you have any idea about what should I use? I was taking a look into the OpenGL for QT and it looks complicated and time-consuming...
You have two options, as far as I can tell:
1. Code in Qt3D and/or OpenGL
2. Use 3D animation and rendering tools such as 3ds Max.

For the second point you will probably have to create the data files in a format the tool knows how to read, and then you can use the tools to create your animation.
But using tools is not less complected and time consuming, only the weight of the complexity is in different areas.
I am not aware of any such tool that you can in very short time do what you want as your task requires a lot of input which is task specific - and no tool knows in advance what you have in mind.