PDA

View Full Version : Cant find SDK with Qt 4.8 libraries for EMBEDDED LINUX + creator for Linux ??

vassin
21st April 2012, 06:13
Hi,

I am working on a Linux machine and want to develop application for embedded device,

i. Should I install Qt 4.8 libraries for embedded linux and install Qt Creator for Linux/x11 if I need an IDE?
ii. Can I not use Qt SDK rather than installing 2 things seperately (qt for embedded linux and creator for Linux/x11)?

What I mean to ask is this....

Qt provides following SDK...

a. Windows SDK installer has Qt 4.8 libraries for windows + creator for windows + etc
b. Linux SDK installer has Qt 4.8 libraries for Linux+ creator for Linux+ etc
c. Mac SDK installer has Qt 4.8 libraries for Mac+ creator for Mac + etc

where is Qt SDK installer which has Qt 4.8 libraries for EMBEDDED LINUX + creator for Linux ???

2. Is it possible to develop Linux embedded applications on windows? If yes, what all I need the system to be working?

I guess I am clear in stating my confusion.

wysota
21st April 2012, 08:22
"Embedded Linux" can mean many things. What platform are you running? ARM? Intel? 32b? 64b?

d_stranz
22nd April 2012, 00:20
I am working on a Linux machine and want to develop application for embedded device

You are asking about two different issues: developing the application and deploying the application on the embedded system once it is done.

You can develop your application on any platform using Qt. To deploy it, you need a cross compiler that runs on your development system but targets your embedded system. You need to build both your application and the Qt libraries it depends on using that cross compiler, and that is what gets deployed to your embedded system. If Qt does not have a distribution already built for the target platform, then you'll need to build it from the Qt source code.

Even better would be to use an emulator and debugger that run on your development system so you can test and debug your application in a sandbox without having to worry about turning your embedded system into a brick.

vassin
23rd April 2012, 07:12
@ Wysota -
MIPS based AU1250 Architecture, running the Linux OS.
I am not sure about 32/64 bit. Does the above name indicate that too?

So,
My development host - Linux
Destination device - MIPS based AU1250 Architecture, running the Linux OS.

Added after 7 minutes:

@ d_stranz

Thanks. I get it. Clear about developing host and target on which application to be deployed. My one question remains same,
So, am I correct with my following understanding?
If I my development host is Linux with GNU as tool chain and if the target is MIPS based AU1250 Architecture, running the Linux OS (not sure about 32/64 bit), should I go ahead and use Qt SDK for Linux for developing my application?

My confusion is this. "What this Qt libraries for Embedded linux mean?". At what point am I using them?
Is it not used to help develop applications for embedded linux so it yeilds applications with smaller foot print and also it has APIs specific for developing embedded linux applications? There is some major misunderstanding that I hold currently i believe. I am not sure what that is...

wysota
23rd April 2012, 10:59
QtSDK does not provide any binaries for MIPS architecture. Ask your device provider for the proper device SDK.

vassin
25th April 2012, 11:34
@wysota

I found this information, they talk about memory requirements for MIPS32 architecture. Does it not mean that Qt provides binaries for MIPS?

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/requirements-embedded-linux.html

Thanks,