PDA

View Full Version : Slow Program Startup

Plissken
6th May 2012, 09:12
I'm using Qt 4.7.4, Qt Creator 2.4.1

Very simple programs, such as the QTextEdit tutorial, take around 40 seconds for the program to appear. When the program appears, it funs fine and is not slow at all. It just takes a long time for the program to appear once I press the "Run" button. Any ideas on what is up with this and how to fix it?

ChrisW67
6th May 2012, 09:21
If you are running a debug program then the libraries are quite large and take a while to load especially on memory constrained systems. If you are running the program in the debugger then it will take even longer. If you previously have not compiled the program then pressing Run will also compile and link the program.

Plissken
6th May 2012, 11:08
This is my second time reinstalling Qt. I remember running this exact tutorial program before but program appearance from the time of hitting the run button was a second or less. Why is it taking so long now?

Also, when I hit the debugger, it says "the preferred debugger engine for debugging binaries of type 'x86-windows-msvc2010-pe-32bit' is not available. The debugger engine 'Gdb engine' will be used as a fallback. Details: There is no CDB binary available for binaries in format 'x86-windows-msvc2010-pe-32bit'"

Last time I installed the SDK, I remember having the choice of downloading the GNU licensed version and remember that in the Project settings, the mingw compiler was being used. Now, I see it says, "Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler 10.0 (x86)". Does this have anything to do with the slow down?

Added after 1 37 minutes:

I just installed Qt on my laptop. Ran a sample program. When pressing the Run button the program starts immediately. What gives? Slow on my desktop but fast on my laptop?