PDA

View Full Version : Install Qt 3.3 on RedHat 9

luffy27
19th December 2006, 17:49
I want to develop Qt apps with kdevelop on RedHat 9. But the kdevelop version in RedHat 9 is too old just version 2.1. So I wanna install a newer version of kdevelop on my machine, maybe kdevelop-3.2.
But I found that the newer version kdevelop requires the Qt newer than 3.2. But the RedHat9 only have Qt 3.1, so I should firstly install a newer Qt. I have downloaded the qt-X11-free-3.3.3.tar.gz. Should I uninstall the existing Qt on my machine before installing the new one? And how to uninstall the Qt in RedHat 9?

I am a freshman with Linux and Qt, but I am too eager to study in it. Any reply is great.
Thanks a lot!

wysota
19th December 2006, 18:46
Should I uninstall the existing Qt on my machine before installing the new one?
You can, but it's not necessary. Just make sure you install the new version where your system can find it, that it doesn't clash with the existing installation and that it comes before the old one in system search paths. Remember that uninstalling Qt and failing to properly install newer version will cause KDE to seize working, so be wise.

And how to uninstall the Qt in RedHat 9?
# rpm -e qt qt-devel qt-devel-doc --nodeps

luffy27
19th December 2006, 19:39
You can, but it's not necessary. Just make sure you install the new version where your system can find it, that it doesn't clash with the existing installation and that it comes before the old one in system search paths. Remember that uninstalling Qt and failing to properly install newer version will cause KDE to seize working, so be wise.

# rpm -e qt qt-devel qt-devel-doc --nodeps

Ok, as you mentioned improperly uninstalling/installing Qt may cause KDE to seize working. So I try to install a new KDE on my machine(RedHat 9). I have downloaded a new KDE 3.3.2. But there are too many fies which have names like *.rh90.kde.i386.hdr(in a directory "headers") and *.rh90.kde.i386.rpm(in another directory "RPMS").

Right now, Could you tell me how to install or upgrade KDE on my machine with these files?
And also I noted that there are qt-*.rpm like qt-3.3.3-15.1.rh90.kde.i386.rpm among the downloaded files. Does that mean after I install or upgrade the KDE , at the same time, I can also have the newer Qt?

wysota
19th December 2006, 19:50
Maybe you should upgrade your whole installation? :) If you don't feel strong with handling rpms, I suggest you use some automation tool or install an upgrade from official CD/DVD discs.

luffy27
19th December 2006, 19:59
Maybe you should upgrade your whole installation? :) If you don't feel strong with handling rpms, I suggest you use some automation tool or install an upgrade from official CD/DVD discs.

But for some reason, I can just use the RedHat 9. So should I just typr rpm -ivh for all of the rpms , does it work?

wysota
19th December 2006, 20:02
So should I just typr rpm -ivh for all of the rpms , does it work?

It might, it might not. Depends if "all of the rpms" really means "all the rpms needed", if not, rpm will refuse to cooperate. Use yum, yast or whatever you have installed on your system instead.

luffy27
19th December 2006, 20:21
It might, it might not. Depends if "all of the rpms" really means "all the rpms needed", if not, rpm will refuse to cooperate. Use yum, yast or whatever you have installed on your system instead.

OK, use yum is another choice and I already downloaded yum which is suitable to my Redhat 9. And then I don't know how to use yum to download or upgrade kde or just the kdevelop and Qt.

Once I used yum to install qt-devel-docs online and successfully. Just type "yum install qt-devel-docs". All were done automatically.

But in this case, can I just type "yum install kde" in command line?

wysota
19th December 2006, 23:15
Once I used yum to install qt-devel-docs online and successfully. Just type "yum install qt-devel-docs". All were done automatically.
I don't think this is the best place to ask such questions. I'm sure you'll find a good answer with less efort by looking in some Redhat forums.

But in this case, can I just type "yum install kde" in command line?
No. First of all you'll have to point yum to some package source that has newer packages than present on your system. Then you have to use yum's options to upgrade packages (I have never used yum, so I can't help you much with it). You have to upgrade kdelibs and kdebase packages along with their dependencies. It is possible that yum has some pseudo-package that contains them all (like "task-kde" or something simmilar).