PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding Qt, QWS, Opengl with PowerVR MBX

denizlitr
22nd June 2012, 10:10
Hi,

I am programming a driver information system for a car project with a freescale MPC5121 with integrated PowerVR MBX Lite. I have several widgets showing different information in different "Pages". The programm includes a navigation page, which is realised with GraphicsScene/View, On an other page I show speed and engine rpm in two widgets.

The programm "works" with directfb gfx driver for qt unaccelerated. But the graphics performance is poor.

I want to switch to Opengl. While searching and reading opengl support under Qt, I found that, normal QWidgets are not accelerated, but only QGLWidgets and widgets inheriting from it.

My questions:
- Is it enough, just changing the MainWidget to QGLWiget type and leaving other widgets as-is (qglwidget would be parent widget of them) to get them accelerated?
- Should I use instead of MainWidget a GraphicsScene/View with a QGLWidget as viewport and embded the widgets (including navigation scene/view) in this to get them accelerated?
- Change all qwidgets to qglwidgets? Is it possible to use several QGLwidgets under QWS, the driver for Powervr works only with fullscreen and supports Open GL ES 1.1

Or something completely different? Can/would you advice a completely different solution?

Uwe
22nd June 2012, 11:09
QWS means raster - better forget to try anything else. In the end you will find yourself running into broken paths in the Qt code.
All I can recommend to do with OpenGL is an OpenGL fullscreen window - but why using Qt/QWS then.

Uwe

denizlitr
22nd June 2012, 12:22
QWS means raster - better forget to try anything else. In the end you will find yourself running into broken paths in the Qt code.
All I can recommend to do with OpenGL is an OpenGL fullscreen window - but why using Qt/QWS then.

Uwe

We don't have an alternative to Qt. An alternative to QWS would be X11 (which is an overkill for embedded, we have to consider also boot time)