PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth with QGLWidget, or QWebView?

TheIndependentAquarius
11th July 2012, 14:40
From here: Real life use for Qt (outside of Nokia) (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2375872/real-life-use-for-qt-outside-of-nokia#comment2352947_2375975)

Google Earth is not a good example for QT because the only real action happens in an OpenGL (or DirectX - whatever) widget.

Questions:

So, is it possible to use QGLWidget class for rendering 'cached' Google Earth locations?
Are there some reasons for which QGLWidget should be preferred over QWebView for the loading the cached Earth locations
on Linux or vice versa?

wysota
11th July 2012, 14:57
You can use whatever solution you like. QWebView is a web browser (2D, basically), QGLWidget allows you to render 3D content. I don't see what cached/uncached/whatever content has to do with it. If you want a flat view then you can use QWebView or QGraphicsView or QWidget or whatever you like, if you want a spherical view then QGLWidget seems the obvious choice if you can do proper UV mapping of the sphere.

TheIndependentAquarius
11th July 2012, 15:06
If you want a flat view then you can use QWebView or QGraphicsView or QWidget or whatever you like, if you want a spherical view then QGLWidget seems the obvious choice if you can do proper UV mapping of the sphere.
That's very informative. Thanks for replying.

Does the following link mean that QGLWidget can be safely compatible with Google Earth (Qt3)?
http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7-snapshot/qglwidget-qt3.html

wysota
11th July 2012, 16:33
No. I already told you you can't mix Qt3 and Qt4 code. If you want to use QGLWidget, Qt3 has it as well.

TheIndependentAquarius
11th July 2012, 16:56
No. I already told you you can't mix Qt3 and Qt4 code. If you want to use QGLWidget, Qt3 has it as well.
Helpful as always. :)

So, this means finally that if I install Qt3, and then I will be able to safely use QGLWidget with Earth?
Is my understanding correct?

high_flyer
11th July 2012, 17:21
Why not Qt4? is there a restriction on the Qt version?
Doesn't sound like it...

wysota
11th July 2012, 17:55
Why not Qt4? is there a restriction on the Qt version?
Doesn't sound like it...

Google Earth still uses Qt3, AFAIK.