PDA

View Full Version : A program perfectly working on Win does not build on Mac

mchome
19th July 2012, 10:43
I have a small program composed by two cpp modules, and a unique signal/slot connection.

It compiles and runs perfectly in Win7 under Qt Creator 2.4.1/qt 4.8.1/MSVC2010.

Instead, in a Max Os X, using QtCreator 2.4.1/qt 4.8.1/gcc, I get the following strange error messages.

In issues:
:-1: error: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
:-1: error: collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

In compile output:
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/usr/local/pgsql/lib'
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-L/tmp/qt-stuff-85167/source/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/lib'
ld: warning: directory not found for option '-F/tmp/qt-stuff-85167/source/qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.1/Desktop/Qt/4.8.1/gcc/lib'
Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
"vtable for CLineChart", referenced from:
CLineChart::CLineChart(QWidget*)in clinechart.o
CLineChart::CLineChart(QWidget*)in clinechart.o
NOTE: a missing vtable usually means the first non-inline virtual member function has no definition.
"CLineChart::staticMetaObject", referenced from:
CLineChart::tr(char const*, char const*)in clinechart.o
"CLineChart::valuesChanged(SXYValues, bool, bool)", referenced from:
CLineChart::mouseMoveEvent(QMouseEvent*) in clinechart.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [TestLineChart.app/Contents/MacOS/TestLineChart] Error 1
make: Leaving directory `/Users/ceraolo/Documents/C++/TestLineChartAAA'
11:09:15: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
Error while building project TestLineChart (target: Desktop)
When executing build step 'Make'

I've verified that if I eliminate all slots and signals but leave the QT_OBJECT macro in the code the problem is still there.
When I comment out the QT_OBJECT also the program compiles and links, but, obviously I lose important functionality.

Any suggestions?

wysota
19th July 2012, 11:35
It's Q_OBJECT, not QT_OBJECT. Make distclean, qmake, make.

mchome
19th July 2012, 23:02
My message was wrong but the issue is related to the correct spelling Q_OBJECT.
In fact, as I mentioned, with this keyword included, my program under Windows compiles, builds and runs perfectly.
Under Mac causes that error message.

MC

In fact, as I mentioned, with this keyword included, my program under Windows compiles, builds and runs perfectly.

MC

Added after 4 minutes:

Make distclean, qmake, make

I will try tomorrow.

Added after 40 minutes:

I could not want until tomorrow.
I tried the cleaning up you suggested and... voilà , it works!

I've also understood what caused that mess.
In the same computer I've Mac OS and Win7 systems. I don' have to reboot to switch between the two, since I use Parallels Desktop that makes windows 7 run in virtual machine.

But I dared too much: I used to recompile the same source code with the two systems, without first copying it into a different folder. It resulted that the two compilation processes created files that were somewhat incompatible

From now I will use a different technique.
Normally I will work in Mac, with files in a folder dedicated to mac compilation. From time to time, to be sure about the program functionality and look and feel under Windows, I will copy the source files in a folder dedicated to Win compilation and compile under Windows.

This way I should avoid to repeat the same mistake.

Thank you for your suggestion.

MC

I could not want until tomorrow.
I tried the cleaning up you suggested and... voilà , it works!

I've also understood what caused that mess.
In the same computer I've Mac OS and Win7 systems. I don' have to reboot to switch between the two, since I use Parallels Desktop that makes windows 7 run in virtual machine.

But I dared too much: I used to recompile the same source code with the two systems, without first copying it into a different folder. It resulted that the two compilation processes created files that were somewhat incompatible

From now I will use a different technique.
Normally I will work in Mac, with files in a folder dedicated to mac compilation. From time to time, to be sure about the program functionality and look and feel under Windows, I will copy the source files in a folder dedicated to Win compilation and compile under Windows.

This way I should avoid to repeat the same mistake.

Thank you for your suggestion.

MC