PDA

View Full Version : Non programmer seeks knowledge on general practices

whtemple1959
28th November 2012, 23:02
Hello,

I am not a programmer. If you want your taxes done I am your man but I am having a hard time getting my head around your magik.

But, I want to build a game for my 3 year old son and I would like to have it done before he graduates high school.

I believe using an IDE is the best way for me to see this project to fruition. I have been reading books and finding information on the web about writing programs. To my joy I even found a site that explains writing code for Linux will not always work for windows...that made my head spin. My life experiences has not prepared me for the confusion of C++.

First, I have a friend who is a programmer and he has already politely, with a hardy chuckle, informed me that my task is going to be daunting. Although he is an expert, IMHO, on Linux, Mac, Windows, C++, and probably others that I do not know about, he admits he is not that familiar with Qt.

So I search the world seeking knowledge and guidance.

I want to build a first person 3D game using the Earth as the terrain and having it be a globe. I have found 2 working open source projects and have permission to use them.

Using various forms of transportation I want the players to travel to different places and times to learn about history, geography, society, mathematics, et cetera. I have found a wonderful program, written in Qt, that builds roads which can also build railways. I do need to learn about A* path finder principles.

I have my daughter working on 3D images, she is a bit of an artist, using SketchUp but she may need to take a crash course in GIMP or Blender.

Finally, KDE has a wonderful project called Marble which uses GeoDataPlacemarks which look like they are perfect for the educational aspect.

My grand hope is that by making this Open Source and maybe even having a muti-player server then people from all over the world will add to the content.

A grand idea and maybe too ambitious for me alone. So I seek willing psychotics to guide me through the mess I am creating. So I need experts in...
1) 3D graphic terrain creation
2) Help with consolidating code into a working project
3) Cross programming for other platforms.

I have decided to stay with the following for now.
Kubuntu 12
Qt Creator 2.5.2 (based on QT 4.8.2)
Qt Designer 4.8.3

Any takers?

Thanks,
Bill