PDA

View Full Version : Is Qt 4.x still worth of learning?

code_err
17th December 2012, 17:52
Hallo,
i have solid basics in QT programming, I was writing some programs in QT 4 for last year but know i want to learn more about QT programming, more advanced techniques, other modules and classes to become in the end Qt Expert. My dilemma is, is it still a good thing to learn Qt 4.x branch or maybe better option would be learning new Qt 5 version. Do they differs much in basic architecture? I mean, does learning Qt 4.8 will help me to understand Qt 5 or they are utterly different and I'll only waste my time. Is is worth to buy book devoted to teach Qt 4.x in order to understand Qt 5 way of writing code. Could you give me some advices. Hope U understand what I'm trying to ask for :D

I read that Qt 5 uses some new features from c++11 that i'm learning now.

wysota
17th December 2012, 18:10
There is not that much of a difference between Qt4 and Qt5 as far as API is concerned. The main difference is QtQuick which has both the API and the backend changed. Things like C++11 support are just small additions that you can but don't have to use. Qt4 books will still be valid with Qt5 (with the exception of QtQuick where only some things will be valid but not others).

code_err
17th December 2012, 18:18
Thanks,
I don't know QtQuick and QML (either Java Script) so I left it for the future. Now will concentrate on Qt 4.8.x and later think about Qt 5.

wysota
17th December 2012, 20:21
I suggest you download Qt 5.0 RC2 and learn on that using available Qt4 materials (books, tutorials, whatever).

code_err
17th December 2012, 21:31
Good idea.