PDA

View Full Version : Forum introduction + approach to game GUI?

Borghal
28th January 2013, 15:51
Hi,

I'm new here and more or less also to Qt in general. I've recently started working on a project involving porting a board game for PC's. Obviously I'm going through tutorials and lookign for useful books, but here's the catch - As I'm making a game, the classic approach to GUI won't work for me and being a borad game, the whole thing will basically be just composed of GUI elements, no animations. From start I want a GUI with custom elements and layout, including the main menu of the game, the way games usually look... I'm sure you get the idea (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/images/web/2003/chess_06.JPG).

So my first questions on these forums are of a general nature:
1) does Qt offer any elements suited for creating these custom GUIs or does everything have to be handled by manual painting? e.g. graph scene
2) could you recommend some literature suited for this purpose? I have C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition), is it relevant to this kind of project?

3) Is it possible to make the game window scaleable within reasonable effort? Say I choose a fixed ratio, probably 16:9, and then let the user resize the game window as he wishes... failing that, what would it take to make such a simple game able to switch between a few select resolutions?

wysota
28th January 2013, 16:04
1) does Qt offer any elements suited for creating these custom GUIs or does everything have to be handled by manual painting? e.g. graph scene
Yes. Have a look at QtQuick.

2) could you recommend some literature suited for this purpose? I have C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4 (2nd Edition), is it relevant to this kind of project?
I'm afraid currently you're forced to use online materials. There is no book on QtQuick, I'm afraid.

3) Is it possible to make the game window scaleable within reasonable effort? Say I choose a fixed ratio, probably 16:9, and then let the user resize the game window as he wishes... failing that, what would it take to make such a simple game able to switch between a few select resolutions?
Yes. QtQuick will take care of all that.