PDA

View Full Version : Technique to read file property details in Windows 7

astodolski
1st March 2013, 02:21
Is there a way to read properties of file in Qt?

For example, in Windows File Explorer, if you right click a file, select Properties->Details, I would like to read into my Qt app those fields. I will add that I populated some of those fields using the Windows Resource compiler. I need to read back and I am unaware if there exists a way to do it in Qt. The Windows APIs have some utility in that area, but I was hoping someone out there has done such a technique primarily in Qt - if that's even possible.

Thanks in advance

wysota
1st March 2013, 02:30
Since this would be completely unportable, there is no point in pushing such functionality into Qt. Use native Windows API.

astodolski
2nd March 2013, 02:44
Since this would be completely unportable, there is no point in pushing such functionality into Qt. Use native Windows API.

I agree with the statement in as much as Win APIs used for read back on Windows file systems. I was hoping there was a solution that was more platform agnostic (non-specific). Otherwise, portability down the drain :(

wysota
2nd March 2013, 08:37
You mean you want to read Windows exe file properties from platforms other than Windows? I'm sure this is possible.

You can propobably start your search here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12396665/c-library-to-read-exe-version-from-linux