PDA

View Full Version : Regarding QtForum

Gopala Krishna
25th January 2007, 11:51
I see that qtforum.org is still alive (in fact very much alive).
I just wanted to know whether qtforum and qtcentre will ever merge in future ?

wysota
25th January 2007, 12:17
I see that qtforum.org is still alive (in fact very much alive).
I certainly wouldn't call it "very much alive" - look at the number of problems solved. And the number of posts per day is decreasing week by week.

I just wanted to know whether qtforum and qtcentre will ever merge in future ?

In my (private) opinion unless QtForum.org is returned to the community, this is practically impossible. We've made a split because of a reason and that reason is still valid. Right now let's see how the new moderator there works. We're monitoring the situation all the time, but haven't noticed any improvement in the situation.

How would you imagine that merge anyway? QtForum knowledge base is focused around Qt3 which in a year will be considered deprecated (Trolltech will stop supporting it and KDE is moving to Qt4). The biggest problem with QtForum and QtCentre is that the former is much higher in Google rankings and we're unable to catch up (whereas we're very high in Yahoo rankings) which is very strange as we've put much effort trying (BTW. if anyone is experienced with Google positioning, please drop me a line either by mail or via a private message).

I am willing to listen to any ideas and arguments anyone has, so feel free to continue this thread.

Gopala Krishna
25th January 2007, 15:42
I certainly wouldn't call it "very much alive" - look at the number of problems solved. And the number of posts per day is decreasing week by week.

Oh I didn't know that. What I observed for last 2 days were new threads in it. I didn't check whether they were being answered or not. So I thought it was alive.

How would you imagine that merge anyway? QtForum knowledge base is focused around Qt3 which in a year will be considered deprecated (Trolltech will stop supporting it and KDE is moving to Qt4).
Well I saw one or two threads regarding GraphicsView in qtforum.org ! But I understand its main focus is Qt3.

The biggest problem with QtForum and QtCentre is that the former is much higher in Google rankings and we're unable to catch up (whereas we're very high in Yahoo rankings) which is very strange as we've put much effort trying .
So you mean there is competition between qtcentre.org and qtforum.org. But since we are here to discuss and help each other regarding Qt won't it be better if the two unite ?
Atleast can't the names be swapped ?? ;)

BTW, I am a former user of QtForum and I accept that I have totally stopped using it. The interface of QtCentre is lot cleaner (as is Qt) and as you pointed out the problems are being solved at better rate. I am a happy QtCentre user. :)

wysota
25th January 2007, 19:06
Well I saw one or two threads regarding GraphicsView in qtforum.org ! But I understand its main focus is Qt3.
Vast majority of questions on QtForum were answered before Qt4 was released. People are still asking questions there and some of them get answered, so obviously there are questions related to Qt4 there as well.

So you mean there is competition between qtcentre.org and qtforum.org.
No, there is no competition between us. Look at top posters at QtForum and compare them to top posters here. You'll understand why suddenly questions stopped being answered there :)

But since we are here to discuss and help each other regarding Qt won't it be better if the two unite ?
As I mentioned earlier, QtCentre is a community based site whereas QtForum is owned by a private person.

Atleast can't the names be swapped ??
What for?

BTW, I am a former user of QtForum and I accept that I have totally stopped using it.
So have I.

The interface of QtCentre is lot cleaner
There are many reasons to that:
- we're using better software
- we have more experience now than the people starting QtForum had then (we learn :P)
- we ask the community for opinion
- we care about the site all the time

On the other hand we can't afford to hire somebody to correct things we messed up :) As QtForum is earning money, its owner probably can.

and as you pointed out the problems are being solved at better rate.
Because most of the top posters from there moved here.

I am a happy QtCentre user. :)
Very nice to hear that. I'm just sad my questions never get answered :(

sunil.thaha
29th January 2007, 06:46
I am a regular visitor of QtForum, The number of questions unanswered is on the rise as all the experts have abandoned. But as wysota has mentioned there is a reason to it. Even today a google search puts QtForum on top. QtCentre is seen no where in the first page. So all the noobs registers in QtForum.

I encourage my friends to learn Qt. Many of them compilained that the forum is not good enough. It was then I thought that I could help others in the forum to move to QtCentre. I try to answers as much as possible. When I can't I redirect them to Qt Centre. This works !!

Got any suggestions ??

Gopala Krishna
29th January 2007, 16:50
Just some general questions, how can we improve google rankings ? Can we qtcentre users do anything about that ? Is it very difficult to get no 1 or 2 position from no 6 ?