PDA

View Full Version : Can I use QT as a library just as I would use Win32 API?

m4l490n
22nd March 2013, 14:49
Hi

I was wondering if QT could be used as simple as including a header or a couple of headers and then just using the APIs, just as you would use WIN32 API, for instance, you just add #include <windows.h> and use the API, as simple as that, nothing to install nothing difficult to do to make it run.

I've seen in the QT download page that there's a "QT Library" and I wonder if, can I use this library as easy as I can use WIN32 API?

anda_skoa
22nd March 2013, 16:10
Yes and no.

Qt is a library so it can be used like any other library, i.e. by including its headers and using its classes and functions.

Of course it is different to the system library in that it needs to be shipped with the application since it is not present on any system by default (like the system API obviously is).

Cheers,
_

m4l490n
22nd March 2013, 21:05
Yes and no.

Qt is a library so it can be used like any other library, i.e. by including its headers and using its classes and functions.

Of course it is different to the system library in that it needs to be shipped with the application since it is not present on any system by default (like the system API obviously is).

Cheers,
_

Thanks for answering!

So, Instead of downloading the QT creator I just download the QT libraries and then add the proper headers in my code and I can develop using QT without installing any additional IDEs?

How Do I create the installer that allows me to distribute my application?

anda_skoa
24th March 2013, 12:51
So, Instead of downloading the QT creator I just download the QT libraries and then add the proper headers in my code and I can develop using QT without installing any additional IDEs?

Yes, Qt is not tied to any specific IDE.
QtCreator has some nice features for developing with Qt but one can use any editor or IDE that can deal with C++. There are even plugins for other IDEs to offer better Qt integration.

How Do I create the installer that allows me to distribute my application?

The same way you would usually create an installer for the target platform.

Cheers,
_