PDA

View Full Version : KDevelop-3.4.0 is released

teatime
27th January 2007, 18:25
Hi,

on behalf of the KDevelop team I would like to announce the immediate release of KDevelop-3.4.0.

KDevelop-3.4 was in development for 15 months and is a major improvement over the last version, including the addition of proper Qt4 support, large improvements for C++ code completion and the integrated C++ debugger. Many other large and small improvements were made and over 500 bugs were closed with this release.

Anybody still using an older version: Upgrade - you'll like it.
Anybody who never used it: Try it out - especially if you're doing C++/Qt/KDE development.

A more exhaustive list of new feature is here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/features.html

Formal release announcement here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/announce-kdevelop-3.4.html

Source and Binary packages are available here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/download.html

jacek
28th January 2007, 12:16
Great job! KDevelop is my favorite IDE.

pasnox
31st January 2007, 09:10
Hi,

on behalf of the KDevelop team I would like to announce the immediate release of KDevelop-3.4.0.

KDevelop-3.4 was in development for 15 months and is a major improvement over the last version, including the addition of proper Qt4 support, large improvements for C++ code completion and the integrated C++ debugger. Many other large and small improvements were made and over 500 bugs were closed with this release.

Anybody still using an older version: Upgrade - you'll like it.
Anybody who never used it: Try it out - especially if you're doing C++/Qt/KDE development.

A more exhaustive list of new feature is here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/features.html

Formal release announcement here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/announce-kdevelop-3.4.html

Source and Binary packages are available here:
http://www.kdevelop.org/index.html?filename=3.4/download.html

Hi,

Proper Qt 4 support ?!! where ?! :
* I import a qmake project : parsing pro is badly done : no files available ...
* No UI integration ( KDevelop start externally Qt 4 Designer )
* No Qt Assistant 4 doc available from KDevelop
* Completion don't work for my test project
* Where is the proper support of Qt 4 ?!

P@sNox,

fullmetalcoder
31st January 2007, 19:39
Hi,

Don't be so rude with the KDevelop team :

KDevelop has never been able to use properly other project types than its own (and it even has some trouble with this one...)
At least it now runs Qt 4 Designer and not Qt 3 ;)
If you really need Qt docs inside use Edyuk (http://edyuk.sf.net) :)
In a few days Edyuk 0.8.0-rc1 will be released and it will bring the first proper completion solution for Qt 4 ;)
Obviously nowhere... But that's not the goal of KDevelop, is it? Plenty of community solutions are already available in this domain : Cobras, QDevelop, Monkey Studio and Edyuk. These should be enough for everyone... :D

teatime
31st January 2007, 23:47
1. We can only fix bugs that are reported, so report problems you see. I suspect the qmake parser problem has already been fixed, but Andreas would know..
2. KDevelop3 is a Qt3 based application. It cannot embed a Qt4 based app like Qt4-designer in any sane way.
3. Qt4 docs can be displayed fine in KDevelop/KDevAssistant - assuming you add them.
4. Code Completion is tricky, but if your project can't be properly imported, then the parser don't have any files to work on - so completion obviously can't work.

... so that's it. A bug in the parser. One that is probably already fixed.

apaku
1st February 2007, 00:00

Well you have to start KDevelop first ;)

Unfortunately it seems that the parser has a severe bug that crept in before the release which causes it to fail to parse perfectly fine and rather simple .pro files when run inside kdevelop. This has already been fixed in SVN. I'm not sure when the regression happened but I do know that around christmas and also since yesterday the parser is able to parse the whole Qt4 buildsystem and TT uses nearly every documented and un-documented feature there.

Note that the new QT variable is directly supported in our QMake manager, meaning you can easily select between all the various values via checkboxes. And the current manager won't mess up existing .pro files with custom code in them anymore.

But it allows to define which binary program is the qt4 designer, which was in earlier versions not possible and also it was fixed to the name "designer" as the binary program name which had to occur before the qt3 designer.

Furthermor It doesn't need to know the Qt installation dir for proper work anymore, its fine if you just supply the qmake binary.

As teatime already said, one can't embedd any Qt4 class within a Qt3 application. However a basic version of Qt4's designer is already embedded in the pre-alpha version of KDevelop4.

Apart from that you can easily create subclasses from the Ui form via the project manager, this will fill you a stub header and implementation.

Add them via Settings->Configure KDevelop->Documentation. Its pretty easy, just make sure to select "Qt Documentation Collection" before looking for the files.

And by the way, you can easily look for documentation for words in the editor by right-clicking them, meaning you can quickly jump to the documentation of a Qt4 class.

Well, completion for project-internal classes and methods only works if the files are known to the project manager. Which of course didn't happen for your test project due to the aformentioned parser bug.

Completion for Qt4 classes needs to be added by parsing the Qt4 header files, you can find the dialog for this under Project Options->C++ Support->Add Code Completion Database

I guess you didn't try to use KDevelop3.3 or KDevelop3.4 in a version before april last year. Else you would recognize that there have been huge improvements, there's not much that could be better in a Qt3 based IDE regarding development of Qt4 apps.

In the future please try to be a bit more polite, I think we did a really great job with this release (of course I'm a bit biased here) and its really the best KDevelop release ever.

pasnox
1st February 2007, 08:46
Well you have to start KDevelop first ;)

Unfortunately it seems that the parser has a severe bug that crept in before the release which causes it to fail to parse perfectly fine and rather simple .pro files when run inside kdevelop. This has already been fixed in SVN. I'm not sure when the regression happened but I do know that around christmas and also since yesterday the parser is able to parse the whole Qt4 buildsystem and TT uses nearly every documented and un-documented feature there.

Note that the new QT variable is directly supported in our QMake manager, meaning you can easily select between all the various values via checkboxes. And the current manager won't mess up existing .pro files with custom code in them anymore.

But it allows to define which binary program is the qt4 designer, which was in earlier versions not possible and also it was fixed to the name "designer" as the binary program name which had to occur before the qt3 designer.

Furthermor It doesn't need to know the Qt installation dir for proper work anymore, its fine if you just supply the qmake binary.

As teatime already said, one can't embedd any Qt4 class within a Qt3 application. However a basic version of Qt4's designer is already embedded in the pre-alpha version of KDevelop4.

Apart from that you can easily create subclasses from the Ui form via the project manager, this will fill you a stub header and implementation.

Add them via Settings->Configure KDevelop->Documentation. Its pretty easy, just make sure to select "Qt Documentation Collection" before looking for the files.

And by the way, you can easily look for documentation for words in the editor by right-clicking them, meaning you can quickly jump to the documentation of a Qt4 class.

Well, completion for project-internal classes and methods only works if the files are known to the project manager. Which of course didn't happen for your test project due to the aformentioned parser bug.

Completion for Qt4 classes needs to be added by parsing the Qt4 header files, you can find the dialog for this under Project Options->C++ Support->Add Code Completion Database

I guess you didn't try to use KDevelop3.3 or KDevelop3.4 in a version before april last year. Else you would recognize that there have been huge improvements, there's not much that could be better in a Qt3 based IDE regarding development of Qt4 apps.

In the future please try to be a bit more polite, I think we did a really great job with this release (of course I'm a bit biased here) and its really the best KDevelop release ever.

Sorry if u think i'm not polite, it's not the case.
I just report things as i have seen ( only to help u to fix ).
I'm not using KDevelop ( it doesn t satisfy me, reason is personnal choice ), i'm the author of an alternative IDE, witch is dedicated to Qt 4 since the release of Qt 4.0.0 ( i'm not giving the name here because i'm not here to make my pub )

Cheers, P@sNox,

apaku
1st February 2007, 10:40
Sorry if u think i'm not polite, it's not the case.
I just report things as i have seen ( only to help u to fix ).
I'm not using KDevelop ( it doesn t satisfy me, reason is personnal choice ), i'm the author of an alternative IDE, witch is dedicated to Qt 4 since the release of Qt 4.0.0 ( i'm not giving the name here because i'm not here to make my pub )

Cheers, P@sNox,

Yes I do think your tone was a bit rude. And as you are a developer of a project yourself you should know that such a forum is not the right place to put bugreports, apart from the fact that your post doesn't qualify as a proper bugreport. It lacks pretty much any useful information except "Foo doesn't work".

Anyway, there's no point in discussing wether you were or were not impolite. I gave you a few points about what Qt4 support means for us and what works how. If you find problems please report those properly in our bug database