PDA

View Full Version : Qt Jobs Munich

RKG
30th January 2007, 16:14
Hello Qt world!
I am stuck!

I have a client looking for QT4 experts in connection with c++/linux for contract or perm jobs in Munich; have been looking for months!

For more detail on the client/ job, please feel free to give me a shout. They will accept perms or contractors(6+months) and will be pretty flexible.

I eagerly await a huge reponse!!!

rkg@proteuseurope.com

shyam prasad
31st January 2007, 13:20
Hi
I am shyam from India .

Please send me the details

1 .How much experiance u r looking .
2. job location .

Thankyou

shyam prasad

RKG
1st February 2007, 17:25
Hi there,

My client is being unpleasant. I have just sent them a fantastic guy from India who only does Qt and C++. They think that someone from "far away" might get homesick!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about that, what can I say..?

Some people are crazy!

hickscorp
16th March 2007, 10:44
You should consider the "work at home" option... Remember, it's 21th century, we have this wonderfull thing called *internet*? oO
By my side, it's been years i'm working from my home, and each single project i have worked on (Website design / coding, C/C++ projects) was successfull...

Good luck finding someone ^^
Pierre.

Brandybuck
16th March 2007, 17:23
My client is being unpleasant. I have just sent them a fantastic guy from India who only does Qt and C++. They think that someone from "far away" might get homesick!!!!!!!!!
Some companies are like that. I talked with one potential client who needed a set of apps ported to Linux, and I estimated the job at six months. But I was not local. The client demanded someone onsite for the entire six months. I had to turn down the job, because I'm not going to move to a different city just for six months of work. There are plenty enough local clients I don't need to do that.

p.s. That company finally found someone... six months later!

wysota
17th March 2007, 14:41
Outsourcing is becoming more and more popular these days, so let's hope the approach starts to change.

There are really no drawbacks with outsourcing work - you can sign a contract for a particular job and period of time and not care how long it takes for the job taker to fullfill his contract as long as he/she does it in time. Working costs are much lower (no need to provide the whole environment and social care for the employee), etc. The only drawback I see is that you might not know who you're hiring. But you can easily overcome this by meeting the person prior to signing the contract or asking for references.

Uwe
17th March 2007, 19:02
I´m freelancer since more than 15 years and for the majority of my projects ( I´m living in the area of Munich), working inside the company was essential.

The common situation is, that large companies build up teams, where direct communication between the developers is as important as the specific programming skills. Often you are not hired for a specific job, instead it is intended that you add your skills to the team and the developers learn from each other.

Often there are no specifications and the main problem is to find out, what the application has to be. As software engineer you don't know much about the domain of the application and without talking face to face with the end user, the risk is high, that you implement something completely wrong.

Another very basic problem is the language. Even if most people talk enough English for mailing, a meeting in English is a pain. We also have people from Eastern Germany, who never learned English at all - how do they communicate with f.e. an Indian developer ?

F.e. in my current project our higher management decided to move our QA to a very far country. The skills of the new QA team are comparable to our previous one, but we are implementing an application with a very specific technical background, without much documentation. In the end we developers have a lot of additional work with coaching the new QA team, knowing that it is pointless, because they have no chance to do the job without being here. In sum the costs are higher + we have no QA anymore + we developer lose time for development.

Uwe

wysota
17th March 2007, 19:39
Well, I'd say that in this situation it's just a matter of hiring the right people. I live in Poland and I know how Polish programmers are desired in countries like Germany or Sweden. Developers outside western Europe (China, India, Poland) are getting more and more skilled and the cost of training them to fit the "company policy" is much lower than trying to find an available and comparable developer (in terms of both fee and skills) on domestic market. So I'd say it's very often a matter of changing the way managers think - of course it's easier to hire a developer that will first identify and analyse the problem, then implement and test it, deploy it and share his/her knowledge with co-workers than to first identify and analyse the problem (or hire an analyst that will do it for them) and then outsource the implementation (black box specifications can do miracles).

On the other hand I don't have any experience with western european/US corporate jobs or managers so feel free to say I'm wrong (though I feel I'm not - just look at the number of companies moving their HQ to India or China).

Uwe
18th March 2007, 09:32
In many German companies the higher management tries to reduce the costs by outsourcing to cheaper countries. But these managers are business people and don't know much about the projects and their realities.

The project management ( those people, who hire developers ! ) are part of the costs, so don't expect them to support the outsourcing process more than they are forced to.

Uwe

wysota
19th March 2007, 12:08
The project management ( those people, who hire developers ! ) are part of the costs, so don't expect them to support the outsourcing process more than they are forced to.

I agree, but this doesn't mean yet, that this is a healthy situation. Inability to find developers on domestic market is one of the factors that might force them (sooner or later) to take a look at foreign market.