PDA

View Full Version : Phonon dependencies size

Borghal
30th April 2013, 20:57
I created an app and decided to have some background music for it. To that end I utilized phonon to simpyl load and play one mp3. The final executable with all the resources is around 20MB - that is, using dynamic linking. So far I havent figured out how to do a static linking build so I just move all the necessary dll's around with the executable when testing on other PC's. But here's the thing - since I coded in the phonon part, the app requires the "*d" versions of Qt's dlls, e.g. those that are much bigger. Instead of having around 25MBs of dlls, I would now have to carry around hundreds of MBs, all to use with a single small .exe.

What's the deal with that? Because of around ten lines of code I now have to use hundreds of MB's worth of libraries :( Is there a more efficient way of playing mp3s via Qt?

And when I get around to finding a static linking tutorial and deploying the app, how big can I expect the executable to be? If the size goes up more then a few MBs, I guess the music isn't worth it.

EDIT: Ok, I am an idiot - didnt't realize I was building debug version this time and those dlls are for debugging. I'll leave the OP here for shame :-)

However, I have a phonon-related problem - I transfer the app to a different machine (Win XP) and while it starts and works just fine - no audio plays, while for me on Win 7 it does. And since I get no error messages about missing libraries or other errors, I dont know where to start looking for problems.