PDA

View Full Version : About license

Nicho
23rd June 2013, 08:28
Hi all,
I am not sure about several questions on license.
1.Qwt is of LGPL,right?
2.Could I create a commercial application with Qwt?If I created a commercial application with Qwt, what should I do when distributing it?Should I pay for Qwt?Or should I make my application be open-source?

ChrisW67
24th June 2013, 02:22
1.Qwt is of LGPL,right?

Qwt has its own licence based on LGPL 2.1 with some additional exceptions as described in the COPYING file included with the source. IMHO it is more permissive than LGPL.

2.Could I create a commercial application with Qwt?If I created a commercial application with Qwt, what should I do when distributing it?Should I pay for Qwt?Or should I make my application be open-source?
Yes.
Include the required acknowledgement of the use of Qwt.
AFAICT you cannot pay for a commercial Qwt licence but you can donate through PayPal.
Your project code need not be open, but you must release any changes you made to Qwt itself under the LGPL.

That's my take... Uwe might have things to add.

Uwe
24th June 2013, 06:54
Uwe might have things to add.
It doesn't matter if an application is commercial or not - the license is about what to do with code using Qwt.

How the LGPL works has been explained trillion times, no need to write it here once more. The Qwt license has some extra rules about what to do when linking statically - something you can't do with the LGPL without having to show your code.

Uwe

Nicho
25th June 2013, 00:26
thank you , Chris
thank you , Uwe