PDA

View Full Version : subclassing or redrawing a lineEdit

jayw710
7th February 2006, 18:02
Hello,

I have a QLineEdit that I subclassed to add a lot of specific functionality for my app. To deal with alignment and style issues on my app, I need to have the active portion of the LineEdit occupy only a subset of the widget size, while still retaining all the properties and functionality of the new LineEdit.

Let me clarify: For a normal QLineEdit, the active portion (where you type) is the whole area of the widget. I need the right 1/4" to match the background. I know I could make a new widget and add a spacer to the right. Two problems with that are: (1) Even fixed-size spacers do not seem to hold their sizes, but will still expand and contract depending on their mood, regardless of size hints and size policy. (2) I need to access all the functionality of the widget directly -- properties and functions.

My thought was that if I use a subclass of QLineEdit and somehow only draw the lineEdit on the left leaving the right 1/4" free, that would do it. The paintEvent of my current QlineEdit calls "QLineEdit:: paintEvent(Event)" which will draw over the entire widget. How would I get QlineEdit to draw only on the part I want it to? The other problem is, how do I make the background match of the unpainted/unutilized portion.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to what would work here?

thank you,

Jay

high_flyer
7th February 2006, 19:00
(1) Even fixed-size spacers do not seem to hold their sizes, but will still expand and contract depending on their mood, regardless of size hints and size policy. (2) I need to access all the functionality of the widget directly -- properties and functions.
About poit 1,I am not sure that a spacer SHOULD be able to be with constant size, since its agaist its purpose, but I am not sure about this.
I prety sure this can be acheaved with a spacer, but sometime you need to play around with the layout to get it right.
You could also use some other widget, maybe an empty qlabel as a spacer.
Or you can calculate your desired QLineEdit geometry and adjust programaticaly on its parent.

jayw710
7th February 2006, 19:26
I need to point out that QlineEdit inherits QFrame so I used the setFrameRect() function to change the editable area of the edit. however, I still have the portion that is unpainted that needs to match the background, and that's the problem.

Thanks!

Jay