PDA

View Full Version : Visual Studio App Wizard for Qt

joshlareau
9th February 2007, 15:09
I want to know if anyone would be interested in an application wizard for Microsoft Visual Studio. This would be aimed at people who want to use the opensource version of Qt with the Microsft Visual C++ compiler from within the Visual Studio IDE. ( Of course, you would need a patched version of the Qt opensource libs in the first place. ) All this would do is give you a new project wizard that creates an empty Qt app that would build right away. It would create the files you need and set up all the compiler and linker options and the special build rules for the UIC and MOC tools.

If there is demand for this, what would be the best way to distribute it? An installer package? The source files? Also, what about the legal issues? Trolltech has said repeatedly that they consider use of open source Qt with Visual Studio a no-no and that they consider the visual studio integration that comes with the commerical package one of the ways in which they can differentiate between the open source and the commerical versions in their buisiness model. Should open source Qt and Visual Studio be avoided?

jacek
9th February 2007, 15:15
Should open source Qt and Visual Studio be avoided?
Some people believe that VS EULA prohibits its use to develop Open Source software.

Brandybuck
9th February 2007, 19:08
Some people believe that VS EULA prohibits its use to develop Open Source software.
Really? I guess I'm in trouble then! :D

On a serious note, I believe you're mistaken. I think there's a restriction on some versions about which platforms you can develop on, but not about what restrictions you must impose upon your end users.

jacek
9th February 2007, 21:17
On a serious note, I believe you're mistaken. I think there's a restriction on some versions about which platforms you can develop on, but not about what restrictions you must impose upon your end users.
The problem is with "Distributable Code", but I guess it's OK as long as you publish only the source code. Everything depends on who reads the licence. ;)

wysota
9th February 2007, 21:36
There has been much talk about the issue (sorry, I don't have any links at hand, but the issue was brought up when Trolltech was releasing Qt4.0 and announced the OS version won't support MSVC) and the bottom line was that you can use MSVC to create open source applications. But as already mentioned, it depends on who's interpreting the licence...