PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED]QTimer::remainingTime() returning negative numbers diff. from -1 ?!

Data42
27th August 2013, 22:18
Hi everyone,
I'm using a QTimer in a multithread Qt5 application. Here is my structure:

Main application (MainWindow.cpp) creates a thread "ComputeScores" that creates N threads "AlgorithmTest" in its run() method. In each of these "AlgorithmTest" threads run() methods, I'm creating a timer to give to a particular algorithm some time budget (once the time is elapsed, the algorithm has to give the best answer it found during this interval).

So what I do in some of my algorithm steps to check the budget isn't exhausted is testing that the reamining time of my timer is not 0. But it turned out that QTimer has a strange behaviour...
When I start my algorithm in "AlgorithmTest" run(), the first thing I do is "myTimer.start(myBudget);". Then as second instruction, for testing purposes, I print myTimer.remainingTime() rightaway with "qDebug() << myTimer.remainingTime()".
The first time it prints (so for the first call to start()), it prints... 0. Then the second time, it prints a random negative number (always a negative one) like -613230304. So of course the rest of my program just makes everything wrong (like infinite loop as the time never reaches 0, even if sometimes it does, despite of the negative remainingTime ?!).

I just don't know what to do here, I googled that and nobody has never seen negative remaining times I think... :/

Thank you in advance!!

wysota
27th August 2013, 23:44
Show us the code please. Also remember that the timer requires a running event loop to fire. If you don't return to the event loop before the timer times out, you will not get notified that the timer has expired.

Data42
28th August 2013, 00:13
Hi thank you for your response.
You were right, the problem was the event loop that I didn't fired. Now instead of calling my code directly in run(), I just do

QTimer::SingleShot(0, this, SLOT(threadCode());
exec();

and I added "quit();" at the end of threadCode(). Everything is fine now.

ChrisW67
28th August 2013, 00:25
How does that solve your stated problem?