PDA

View Full Version : WinXP - Newb

Reenen
8th February 2006, 08:04
Hi...

I'm new in all senses. I downloaded the open-source version of Qt. (44mb)

During installation the wizard told me that it can't find MinGW. Tried to install it directly, but my internet is firewalled, so I presume that's why it failed.

What is MinGW? I dunno. I went to www.mingw.org and downloads. There are a great many files. Which do I need? I downloaded those that looked most important. Ie. The win32api, and MSYS.exe.

So I kinda read through the MSYS docs, but I am not sure what to do. I extracted the mingw w32api tarball to c:\msys\1.0\mingw\

Then I retried the Qt installation. So it complained again that it can't find MinGW. What's up? I am really dumb, and I am fumbling in the dark with stuff I dunno.

In the end I want to
1) Experiment with something else than Delphi/Lazarus
2) Create (graphical) software that are available for several platforms
3) - Open source (obviously)

I've done very little C++ programming, but hoping Qt will improve that. :)

Regards
Reenen

high_flyer
8th February 2006, 11:32
There is a Qt bundle that comes with MinGW and it installs both Qt and MinGW.
qt-win-opensource-4.1.0-mingw.exe (http://www.trolltech.com/download.html?target=ftp://ftp.trolltech.com/qt/source/qt-win-opensource-4.1.0-mingw.exe)
MinGW is a compiler.

Cesar
8th February 2006, 13:05
There is a Qt bundle that comes with MinGW
Unfortunately you aren't right, there's no such a bundle. qt-win-opensource-4.1.0-mingw.exe is just a QT bundle, which can donwload and install MinGW for you. See also 95.
MinGW's packaging system isn't straightforward, indeed. The files needed to start using MinGW are shattered among lots of packages.
Try downloading MinGW-5.0.0.exe (http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/MinGW-5.0.0.exe?download) , execute it and make sure your firewall permits access to the Internet for the process MinGW-5.0.0. This installer will choose all the packages needed, download and install them.
The other way is to let the qt-win-opensource-4.1.0-mingw.exe process to access the Internet.

Reenen
8th February 2006, 13:21
I downloaded Code::Blocks, and I believe it includes mingw.

(I hope so, or maybe that's why my tutorial 7 aren't working...)

But I've been compiling all the previous tutorials.

If you are firewalled, then the 44mb download doesn't succeed in downloading MingW.

Cesar
8th February 2006, 13:42
I downloaded Code::Blocks, and I believe it includes mingw.
As far as I know it doesn't :(
By the way, don't you have any access to the firewall configuration?

Reenen
8th February 2006, 13:54
Nope, just a user on a BIG system.

Well, I downloaded codeblocks-1.0rc2_mingw.exe which is about 13mb.

I'll be posting my problem in the newbie forum, so maybe just have a look there (for the tutorial 7 I can't compile)

high_flyer
8th February 2006, 14:48
Unfortunately you aren't right, there's no such a bundle. qt-win-opensource-4.1.0-mingw.exe is just a QT bundle, which can donwload and install MinGW for you.
Thats true, however, this Qt package (provided there is internet access) installed and configures Qt with MinGW, and saves you the hard work.
You only need to specify the Qt lib path and you need to do then is to start a porject and point it to a qmake made make file.