PDA

View Full Version : Android Chat Application Qt ?

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 13:40
Hello everyone,
just a question ,no need for technical details, is it better to build an android chat application like whatsApp , Viber, etc... with good looking GUI using Qt for android ?
or a person has to develop it using Java and Eclipse ( the best out there for android development ).

aamer4yu
24th September 2013, 14:44
Developer preference ;-)

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 15:25
Developer preference ;-)
Thats pretty true.
But does Qt add extra features ? add-ons ? maybe some simplicity , more widgets for android programming ? more designs etc...

wysota
24th September 2013, 16:06
It depends what you want to implement.

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 16:38
Hello Wysota,
i already said that its a chat application for example lets say a lite version of whatsApp , just a chat application between different clients over the internet

so i was wondering if Qt for Android has more or extra features most likely in the general android framework or any other specific sites of android development regarding this
as i said before

But does Qt add extra features ? add-ons ? maybe some simplicity , more widgets for android programming ? more designs etc....

wysota
24th September 2013, 20:57
so i was wondering if Qt for Android has more or extra features

Sure, you just need to use the QStandardAndroidChat class.

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 21:35
Sure, you just need to use the QStandardAndroidChat class.
You make it sound so easy , you give a person an optimistic spirit to try it even though the person has no clue about it.
would you suggest or recommend any references, documentations, or examples ? anything for a start up
I have never tried Qt for Android and i have a project , so i was hoping to build it using Qt instead of the usual java and eclipse programming.
Thanks.

wysota
24th September 2013, 22:02
I would recommend to first think what you want to do and only then start wondering how you are going to do it. If you say "I want to develop an app just like X" then I will say "why do it if X already exists?".

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 22:11
I know what i want to do, the application will have features that is not found in a lot of apps.
im not planing on deploying it, i just want to make it for my university project.
so any recommendations about Qt for Android and the QStandardAndroidChat class passing the thinking phase?

wysota
24th September 2013, 23:02
I know what i want to do,
Great, however we don't so how do you want us to help you?

If you are asking whether you can write a chat application using Qt then I will say "yes, you can". If you ask whether you can write a chat application with Java then I will say "yes, you can". If you ask which one you should use, I'd say "use the one you feel more comfortable with".

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 23:35
Thanks for the reply.
I kinda asked it that way at first but then i added that i mean does Qt have or add extra features to android developmemt. If you i would start right away with Qt for Android otherwise, i would just use java and eclipse for that.
Thats exactly my question.
Extra fratures such as more android widgets, more styles, good looking GUI. like would it be more facilitated using Qt for android ?
Im confortable with using Qt and java. I usualy use java for android but if Qt offers more regarding android developmemt, features, UI,s, custome widgets, etc... i would be more than ready to use Qt.
hope this clears my idea.

Great, however we don't so how do you want us to help you?
Just a general idea for what i asked.
For example you suggested QStandardAndroidChat
Suggest some examples or documentaions or references regarding my case
Thanks.

wysota
24th September 2013, 23:45
does Qt have or add extra features to android developmemt.
What kind of "extra features"? Does it make your phone brew coffee? No, it doesn't. But it has Qt Quick you can use for your UI. I don't know if you consider it an edge or not.

Extra fratures such as more android widgets, more styles, good looking GUI.
No, no "more widgets", no "more styles". As for "good looking GUI" I guess this is kind of personal preference.

Suggest some examples or documentaions or references regarding my case
I don't know what "your case" is. As you said yourself it is you who knows what you want to do, not us.

toufic.dbouk
24th September 2013, 23:56
Alright thanks for your fast reply. staright to the point answer, i appreciate that.
Btw nice joke or sarcasm there * does it make your phone brew coffee * good one :P
Best Regards.

aamer4yu
25th September 2013, 10:03
You are asking a Qt forum group,, so we would anyway suggest you to use Qt,,,
you can search on net for advantages of Qt and decide if you want it.

Also for your understanding, Qt for Android was not a primary target. So you may not even find 100% features of Qt on Android.
But then why use Qt ? Because you may be able to deploy your application to other supported platforms like Symbian, MeeGo, SailFish in future. [Unless you dont use platform specific code]

nish
25th September 2013, 10:35
Stick to Java. Qt is not mature enough on android. Specially for the case of a university project, you will waste more time setting up you environment then actual code.

toufic.dbouk
25th September 2013, 10:39
You are asking a Qt forum group,, so we would anyway suggest you to use Qt,,,
I guess its the fact that i prefere using C++ Qt for programming over other languages and framewroks made me ask this question on Qt forum.
Thanks for your reply.

Stick to Java. Qt is not mature enough on android. Specially for the case of a university project, you will waste more time setting up you environment then actual code.

Thanks for your concern. Thats what iam going to do.
Best regards.

wysota
25th September 2013, 12:08

I think this depends on a case-by-case basis. I've seen projects run on Android without any effort.

nish
26th September 2013, 06:57
I think this depends on a case-by-case basis. I've seen projects run on Android without any effort.
yes correct. For simple apps (but then all *apps* are supposed to be simpler than applications!), no need for shipping huge qt runtime, code them in native framework.

ansifpi
26th September 2013, 07:35
Hi,

You can create chat application in Android using Qt. I have done one project before that was done in Qt 4.8 necessitas version. Here is the link, www.7dyne.com/products-and-services.html or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cba6Y4407Ks

Check the KNARA chat application, that will work on windows and Android.

Regards
Ansif

toufic.dbouk
26th September 2013, 09:28
Check the KNARA chat application, that will work on windows and Android.
Alright thanks ill give it a look. But if its just a demo video it wont be helpful. so i hope its an open source product that i might seek help from.
Take Care.

Kosta
26th November 2013, 18:11
Yes you correct. Demo video it wont be helpful. Thanks for your good reply.Best app to download free movies on android - Top List Best app to download free movies on android Here are the best way to download Movies on your Android Mobile ,it include some Android apps list to download movies Keep in mind that in most of the count

Added after 38 minutes:

Good way to download movies on android

stereoMatching
26th November 2013, 19:39
It is damn cool to run a Qt project on android without any effort(thanks for the efforts of Qt team)
but Qt on android still far from mature(Qt5.2 beta1) in my opinion

1 : unstable, some apps can't work properly(ex : crash, mul-function, image broken, can't open camera) or very slow(ex : maroon)
2 : lack of some basic yet important features, like how to get the
default folder location of image, music;in-apps purchase and so on

Qt team said Qt5.2 will provide users a mature android port
Hope that release version of Qt5.2 could give us a stable Qt on android

GTDev
20th December 2017, 11:39
V-Play Engine for Qt-based apps and games comes with many components to make mobile development easier. For example, you can integrate a chat service to build your own cross-platform messenger with a few lines of code:

import VPlay 2.0
import VPlayApps 1.0

App {

// app navigation
Navigation {
NavigationItem {
title: "User Profile"
icon: IconType.user
NavigationStack {
initialPage: socialView.profilePage
}
}

NavigationItem {
title: "Chat"
icon: IconType.comment
NavigationStack {
initialPage: socialView.inboxPage
}
}
}

// service configuration
VPlayGameNetwork {
id: gameNetwork
gameId: 285
secret: "AmazinglySecureGameSecret"
multiplayerItem: multiplayer
}

VPlayMultiplayer {
id: multiplayer
appKey: "dd7f1761-038c-4722-9f94-812d798cecfb"
pushKey: "a4780578-5aad-4590-acbe-057c232913b5"
gameNetworkItem: gameNetwork
}

// social view setup
SocialView {
id: socialView
visible: false // we show the view pages on our custom app navigation
}
}

You can find more information here:
https://v-play.net/cross-platform-app-development/how-to-add-chat-service-and-cross-platform-leaderboard-with-user-profiles-to-your-ios-or-android-app#in-app-chat-and-cloud-storage
(https://v-play.net/cross-platform-app-development/how-to-add-chat-service-and-cross-platform-leaderboard-with-user-profiles-to-your-ios-or-android-app#in-app-chat-and-cloud-storage)

GTDev
20th December 2017, 11:45
Hi!

V-Play Engine for Qt-based apps and games offers many components to make mobile development easier. For example, you can create a messenger app using the included chat service with only a few lines of code:

import VPlay 2.0
import VPlayApps 1.0

App {

// app navigation
Navigation {
NavigationItem {
title: "User Profile"
icon: IconType.user
NavigationStack {
initialPage: socialView.profilePage
}
}

NavigationItem {
title: "Chat"
icon: IconType.comment
NavigationStack {
initialPage: socialView.inboxPage
}
}
}

// service configuration
VPlayGameNetwork {
id: gameNetwork
gameId: 285
secret: "AmazinglySecureGameSecret"
}

VPlayMultiplayer {
id: multiplayer
appKey: "dd7f1761-038c-4722-9f94-812d798cecfb"
pushKey: "a4780578-5aad-4590-acbe-057c232913b5"
}

// social view setup
SocialView {
id: socialView
visible: false // we show the view pages on our custom app navigation
}
}

For more information, please see:
https://v-play.net/cross-platform-app-development/how-to-add-chat-service-and-cross-platform-leaderboard-with-user-profiles-to-your-ios-or-android-app#in-app-chat-and-cloud-storage

Edith
1st March 2021, 12:36
Hello everyone,
just a question ,no need for technical details, is it better to build an android chat application likeogwhatsApp (https://gbapps.net/ogwhatsapp-apk/) , Viber, etc... with good looking GUI using Qt for android ?
or a person has to develop it using Java and Eclipse ( the best out there for android development ).

I know the thread is too old but I think you are absolutely right about developing an chat app like WhatsApp for qt because it is really helpful for users to contact each other easily and I hope our seniors are implement on this soon.

babanaqash
8th March 2021, 17:33
I know the thread is too old but I think you are absolutely right about developing an chat app like WhatsApp for qt because it is really helpful for users to contact each other easily and I hope our seniors are implement on this soon.

How much time it will required for application?

babanaqash
16th March 2021, 17:37
Yes you correct. Demo video it wont be helpful. Thanks for your good reply.Best app to download free movies on android - Top List Best app to download free movies on android Here are the best way to download Movies on your Android Mobile ,it include some Android apps (https://gbhouse.info/sawhatsapp-download/) list to download movies Keep in mind that in most of the count

Added after 38 minutes:

Good way to download movies on android

I am waiting for the reply...:confused:

d_stranz
16th March 2021, 20:13
I am waiting for the reply...

Do you realize that "Kosta" was a spammer who made only one post in this forum in 2013? You will be waiting a long, long time for any reply.

Edith
15th April 2021, 10:48
How much time it will required for app (https://gbapps.net/fmwhatsapp-apk-download/)lication?

I'm sorry, I think you should ask this question to anyone who is thinking of making such an app;)

babanaqash
15th April 2021, 12:55
I know the thread is too old but I think you are absolutely right about developing an chat app like GT WhatsApp (https://gbhouse.info/gt-whatsapp-apk/) for qt because it is really helpful for users to contact each other easily and I hope our seniors are implement on this soon.

It will take a lot of time as well as you will need huge investment if you want to create an application like whatsapp.