PDA

View Full Version : Adopting CMake?

travlr
17th February 2007, 19:28
Considering that CMake is much more flexible than qmake is; and that KDE has already adopted it as their official build tool... has Trolltech considered adopting it as a replacement for qmake?

Qmake is a very convenient tool (with it's automagic .pro file generation, etc.), but standardizing with the direction of it's user base (namely the KDE community as well as general C, C++ projects) would be a very good way to go in my opinion.

CMake just needs to accommodate automagic CMakeLists file generation for Qt specific projects.
I for one would be very pleased if it was standardized across the Qt community.

-travlr

wysota
17th February 2007, 19:39
This is a good question although the first question should be "does CMake exist and work flawlessly for all platform Qt supports (including embedded ones)?". On the other hand Trolltech proved to bias towards its own solutions where possible (due to licencing issues?), so I think this won't happen and certainly not before Qt5. But I don't see a reason why CMake shouldn't support QMake projects. One could even write a tool to convert between the two (or maybe such a tool already exists?).

jacek
17th February 2007, 19:39
has Trolltech considered adopting it as a replacement for qmake?
You will have to ask the Trolls, but I think that they will stay with qmake, because it's their own tool and they have a full control over it.

I for one would be very pleased if it was standardized across the Qt community.
Even if CMake will become the standard tool, it doesn't mean that qmake must die.