PDA

View Full Version : Common question about porting Qt3 to Qt4

zlatko
20th February 2007, 12:43
Ok Hi All !!!
I'm not sure that i post it in right thread but i hope that dear admin's correct me ;)
Want to ask people who has experience with porting app's from Qt3 to Qt4. Is it possible to port big Qt3 app to Qt4 through Qt porting tools ? Or maiby its better leave it it Qt3 ? I read troll doc about porting but want ask peoples who did it by himself is that really :rolleyes: ?

zlatko
20th February 2007, 16:01
And....nobody :confused:

ChristianEhrlicher
20th February 2007, 18:47
As you maybe see with kdelibs, it takes some time. But qt3support lib can help you.
So it really depends on what you want to do - do you want to continue develop your app during the next years or not? Support für Qt3 will be stopped in july.

Brandybuck
20th February 2007, 22:28
You can port really big apps from Qt3 to Qt4, using the qt3to4 tool. What you will end up with is a program that depends on the Qt3Support library. Your final goal should be to eliminate dependence of the Qt3Support library. That is the hardest part of the porting. The qt3to4 tool is basically a search-and-replace program. You'll have to do quite a bit of work yourself before the result will build, link and run.

There is an archived presentation of Qt3 to Qt4 porting at: http://www.ics.com/products/qt/webcast.html

zlatko
21st February 2007, 11:57
So it really depends on what you want to do - do you want to continue develop your app during the next years or not? Support für Qt3 will be stopped in july.

Develop ? No, just support it . But want to know more about Qt4 , so i think i'll try port it :cool:

Thx for replies