PDA

View Full Version : ActiveQt - Am I in the right way?

souza.ufrgs@gmail.com
24th December 2013, 08:26
Hello you all,

I will have to do an application in Qt which controls a camera. This câmera is a IP câmera.
1) to access this camera by a browser, you just need to put http:/<camera ip> and you can see its stream.
2) if you have Internet Explorer, you can see the stream by a ActiveX plugin and press some buttons to control the camera like a zoom button for example.

BUT, I do not want to control this camera through the Internet Explorer. I want to control this camera by a Qt application.

Let´s consider one more thing: I do not developed the ActiveX plugin of this câmera. The only thing that I did was to install it with a CD which cames with the camera. So, I do not have any access to the ActiveX (just the class ID if that helps).

Looking for a way to access the camera, I discovered the "ActiveQt" for Qt. My doubt is if I´m looking for the right thing.

Let me show what I think that ActiveQt can do for me and, if possible, you reply if I´m right or not, ok?
1) I can set a ActiveX class Id and magicaly with my Qt code and QAx(..) I will be able to control the camera by its ActiveX.
2) I will use the QAxBase::generateDocumentation() to know what this ActiveX allows me to use.
3) I will use the dynamicCall () to use what this ActiveX allows me to use.

All examples that I saw, I felt like the ActiveX was embedded in the Qt Application. But now the ActiveX is part of Internet Explorer and I do not know if I can access it.

And now one more doubt: in my case, the ActiveX is part of the Internet Explorer or it´s part of the camera? Im really confuse. Can you explain me the relationship between the activeX and the IP camera?

Well, Merry Christmas to you all guys. The community is helping me a lot almost everyday. Thank you all!!

anda_skoa
24th December 2013, 15:05
ActiveX is a plugin technology. It was mostly intended for use in Internet Explorer as an attempt to lock people doeing web apps into Microsoft technologies.
It can also be used by any other application implementing the plugin host part. ActiveQt can help with that.

Alternatively you could see if the camera vendor has any information about the data access itself, in which case you could simply connect to the camera and display the image data yourself.

Cheers,
_