PDA

View Full Version : Custom Design ... no clean way?

MCSpy
23rd January 2014, 14:07
Hi,

is there a easy and CLEAN way for hard custom designs (CSS,HTML) on multiple OS Targets.
OT Creator keeps messing up, considering we are in 2014... it feels like i want to hunt mammoths again, because it would be more fun... hmm.. getting hungry just thinking about it.

Actually i have to fix it via code... what my designer does. and if he does some changes.. i have to do the changes aswell. For CSS and HTML maybe you can use Files but this makes the Creator useless too.

Is there a way to fix this? I mean with no Code adjustments or Compiling.
Do i oversee something simple? Maybe is there a way to just set a Application DPI or even better a Project DPI ... that the IDE called QT Creator, still looks the same on different platforms.
Or is there a way to prevent the change from "px" to "pt".

And yes i know.. there are already some threads around the world, complaining about this. But with no solution at all (?)

Bye

anda_skoa
23rd January 2014, 16:52
Your rant does not include any information on what you are looking for or what you are trying to do.

Maybe you can try that instead of throwing buzz words around?

Cheers,
_

MCSpy
23rd January 2014, 17:12
Main Target is Fonts .. some Borderlines.. all things which has some size value, because of different DPI they are presented different.

Windows App with QT5 Creator, uses a lot of CSS and HTML for custom Designs.
Mac App with QT5 Creator, uses a lot of CSS and HTML for custom Designs.

Both same Code, shared via SVN, which makes it harder to Design, thats why currently a sourcecode soluation is used, so that both have a fairly close design.
It makes SVN handling easier.
For Example:
If you use a QTextBrowser with HTML Content use "px" , Commit it on Mac and Update it on Windows.. Creator changes all the px to pt.(like 14px to 12pt) Sure it looks still the same somehow or at least good enough, but you can't work with that.

I'm searching for a easy,nice,sexy and clean way in a SVN Enviroment. Its between the Lines above... how else would you develop for multiple systems?
And the second thing is i already wrote above... i don't want to fix the Design/Layout from my Designer for Windows or reverse Mac, everytime.

wysota
24th January 2014, 06:55
Do you mean you want a custom "skin" for QtCreator? Or is it something related to programs written using QtCreator? It's still not clear what you are talking about.

ChrisW67
24th January 2014, 07:43
I fail to see where "lots of CSS and HTML" has anything to do with either Qt Creator or Qt 5. There are no units, either pixels or points, in most of the Designer/Qt creator widget properties panel entries, so it cannot be about that. Fonts are specified in points consistently.

The rant about QTextBrowser seems to indicate that McSpy is:

Entering rich text ("lots of CSS and HTML"?) as the content of a QTextBrowser widget using Qt Creator/Designer
Saving the UI file
Committing the UI file changes to a Subversion repo on one platform
Updating the working copy on the other platform
Opening the UI file in Qt Creator/Designer on the other platform
Claiming that magic has happened and all the pixel measurements (number and units) in the content have been converted to point measurements or vice versa.
Further claiming, I guess, that the changed figures would be saved back to the UI file thereby generating a different UI file.

Perhaps someone with access to a Mac and Windows can confirm that this does not happen by simply moving a UI file between them. If this does indeed happen then the obvious solution is to put the content in a resource file and load it from code. Then Qt Creator/Designer are not involved in maintaining the text and cannot modify it.

MCSpy
24th January 2014, 09:34
Hello,

sorry for yesterday, i was really frustrated. >:)

And yes Chris you are right.
But there exists also other CSS in every Widget, you can set a stylesheet?

I don't design the UI only the Designer and we kinda want something, that he edits the UI File and with SVN Commits it remains the same or the GUI looks the same way.
And i don't need to care at all, but thats not the case, its not new that Mac/Win have different DPI and thats why non Standard Fonts, get displayed in different sizes, thats why we try CSS/HTML, even for simple Textfields.

I'm using Eclipse for SVN, QT Creator SVN works too but the UI is not so good than in Eclipse. And you see for example that all 14px get to 12pt (at least in QTextBrowser). I guess it happens by opening the File with the Designer, after an Update.

Thank you.

ChrisW67
25th January 2014, 03:08
But there exists also other CSS in every Widget, you can set a stylesheet?
No, it looks like CSS but it is a Qt style sheet.

Your scattered sentences do not convey a coherent picture of the problem. It is still unclear exactly what you are claim has it units magically converted and by what. It is 100% absolutely certainly nothing to do with Subversion so you can stop mentioning that.

Demonstrate the problem by posting a before and after UI file, with a blow-by-blow description of the steps to get from before to after, and telling us exactly where the problem is supposed to be.