PDA

View Full Version : Quick(Best) way to jumpstart Qtopia application development for Qt programmer

izico
5th March 2007, 05:56
Hello,all

I'm now interested in making my Qt application to run on Qtopia for mobile phone too.

But it seems that Qtopia's feel and look is rather different to Qt,my Qt program don't compile.

I've studied qtopia documentation,but have no quick answer by now.

I need a guru to tell me:

1. What's the difference of Qtopia and Qt development?
that is,what in Qt is not used in Qtopia,what's Qtopia's recommended style,etc?

2. Qtopia/Qt compatibility
I want one single source tree to be used for Qt and Qtopia too,what's the best way to do it?What's the best way to write a application for both Qt and Qtopia?It's a burden to have two source tree.

3. build system
I use cmake as my build system,but it seems that Qtopia use qtopiamake,and cmake can't be used.should I used only qtopiamake for Qtopia application?is it possible to use cmake?

4. Generally,what is the quick or best way for a Qt developer to jumpstart a Qtopia application?Trolltech don't have a "How to learn Qtopia" in Qtopia document like in Qt document,anyone has one?

5. VoIP integration
My program is a unified personal communication program using Qt for UI and display,a kind of VoIP like program,but it seems that Qtopia has its own VoIP call support,though it's just a basic SIP stack,but Qtopia impose too much on VoIP functions:it should intergrate well the phone call interface,contact address book,etc,so should i change my application totally to be integrated well in Qtopia?

Thx for good advice

lpotter
6th March 2007, 00:45
Hello,all

I'm now interested in making my Qt application to run on Qtopia for mobile phone too.

But it seems that Qtopia's feel and look is rather different to Qt,my Qt program don't compile.

I've studied qtopia documentation,but have no quick answer by now.

I need a guru to tell me:

1. What's the difference of Qtopia and Qt development?
that is,what in Qt is not used in Qtopia,what's Qtopia's recommended style,etc?

Qtopia configures Qtopia Core (qt embedded) from qtopiacore/qconfig-qpe.h file that is is the Qtopia sourse tree.
Look at that to find out what we use.

2. Qtopia/Qt compatibility
I want one single source tree to be used for Qt and Qtopia too,what's the best way to do it?What's the best way to write a application for both Qt and Qtopia?It's a burden to have two source tree.

User #ifdef Q_WS_QWS for Qtopia specific parts.

3. build system
I use cmake as my build system,but it seems that Qtopia use qtopiamake,and cmake can't be used.should I used only qtopiamake for Qtopia application?is it possible to use cmake?

qtopiamake was designed as a wrapper around qmake that is specifically for Qtopia. I woul djust use that, instead of writing cmake rules.

4. Generally,what is the quick or best way for a Qt developer to jumpstart a Qtopia application?Trolltech don't have a "How to learn Qtopia" in Qtopia document like in Qt document,anyone has one?

There are example apps in Qtopia. The main part is using qtopiaapplication instead of qapplication.

5. VoIP integration
My program is a unified personal communication program using Qt for UI and display,a kind of VoIP like program,but it seems that Qtopia has its own VoIP call support,though it's just a basic SIP stack,but Qtopia impose too much on VoIP functions:it should intergrate well the phone call interface,contact address book,etc,so should i change my application totally to be integrated well in Qtopia?

You probably can. You can use service requests and such for getting data from other apps.

izico
6th March 2007, 18:26
hi,lpotter,

thanks very much,your advice saves me so much time.

i think qt as a great product with great document,just like a J2SE for C++.

But it seems that Qtopia was far away from J2ME,and as a C++/Qt lover,I'd like to gamble on Qtopia if trolltech has really the determination and resource to gamble against Symbian,WinCE,etc.

as i know,a lot of open mobile platform emerge in embedded linux,and several linux mobile phone consortium is set up,but i don't understand why they don't select qtopia as their recommended application framework?but the ugly gtk++ gets a lot nod from these mobile phone consortium(LIPS,Limo?,etc,i've forgotten the names,motorola,samsung,ntt docomo alike).

Ok,enough for these business thing,let's talk about my current problem.

I'm writting a large personal unified communication program(it's maybe a small program for trolltech),for cross platform support,i choose qt as the UI and video display library.but as you know,it's an independent desktop program that manage its own call interface(in fact,call is just one function of it,both voice and video call,it's designed to support any popular IM/VoIP network,such as SIP/MSN/ICQ,but that'll be implemented gradually on market acception),contact address book.these are the two areas that I feel the Qtopia platform gives me most trouble,as they are the interface to user.

I understand a mobile phone is unlike a desktop,the interface should be clean and minimalist,so the whole system should have only one call interface and contact book(PIM) for all applications in the system,but my problem is that I process the address book rather different to general PIM functions,and I envoke voice/video/IM/SMS/etc functions on the structure of my address book,on desktop,i just implement what kind of interface i think my customer likes,but on qtopia,i need to behave well with the platform,which have these functions already.

Now you can understand my concerns about the VoIP integration in qtopia,I need a way for my program to work well both on Qt desktop and Qtopia phone,that's what i feel that Qtopia limits my freedom.

I really loves Qt,I think it as a Java SE platform for C++,so i really wants to see Qtopia to thrive as a J2ME for C++ too.And as a lone programmer,i can't afford to gamble on too many technologies.

izico
6th March 2007, 19:24
another problem:

i see that qtopiamake is written in perl which i don't know,does it support out of place build(build != source)?

i know qmake support out of place build,but i've checked that qtopiamake doesn't.How can i change it to support out of place build?

I don't want a lot of Makefile to polute my source tree(i've seen that qtopia build a lot of stuffs in the source tree even if I build from another directory,as called depot hopping in the source code),as i may use different build tool to build different directory in my project.