PDA

View Full Version : Q Creator plugin: is it neccesserry to always recompile the Qt Creator sources?

mut
11th June 2014, 02:56
Hello;

I'm building a plugin for Qt Creator as follows:

I was able to download the Qt Creator sources and compile them.

I was also able to successfully create the basic Qt Creator plugin as explained in http://doc.qt.digia.com/qtcreator-ex...st-plugin.html.

I do have the three files myplugin.dll, myplugin.a and myplugin.pluginspec and have them in the proper directory of my Qt Creator sources. They run fine.

Should I recompile my Qt Creator sources each time that I produce new myplugin.dll, myplugin.a and myplugin.pluginspec files?

Why is it necessary to have the Qt Creator sources in the first place?

Thanks;

Mut

anda_skoa
11th June 2014, 08:17
I don't think you need to recompile Qt Creator itself if you are recompiling your plugin.

That might be necessary if a newer version changes something about the plugin API but as far as I understand they are planning on keeping it stable.

Since there is no plugin SDK right now, the only way to get the headers and symbols for the plugin API are the sources.
Having the sources and your own build obviously also makes it much easier to debug a plugin and its integration since once can step into Qt Creator's main plugins and add logging, etc

Cheers,
_

wysota
11th June 2014, 09:17
Should I recompile my Qt Creator sources each time that I produce new myplugin.dll, myplugin.a and myplugin.pluginspec files?
No, you just need to build your plugin.

Why is it necessary to have the Qt Creator sources in the first place?
Because in your plugin you are including files that are part of Qt Creator source code and because some tools are needed during compilation of your plugin that are part of Qt Creator source code bundle.