PDA

View Full Version : The best way to study OpenGL in Qt

8Observer8
4th August 2014, 06:54
Hi

I am new in OpenGL in Qt. Please, show me the simple way in writing Qt application with OpenGL. Maybe a very good tutorials.

I think that 3D graphics is very inportant in modern application for "consumer and business applications". I read it in "OpenGL SuperBible"

OpenGL is used for various purposes, from CAD engineering and architectural applications to modeling programs used to create computer-generated monsters and machines in blockbuster movies. The introduction of an industry-standard 3D API to mass-market operating systems such as Microsoft Windows and the Macintosh OS X has some exciting repercussions. With hardware acceleration and fast PC microprocessors now common-place, 3D graphics have become standard components of consumer and business applications, not only of games and scientific applications.

Thank you in advance!

wysota
4th August 2014, 07:25
OpenGL with Qt is exactly the same as OpenGL without Qt. There are a couple of OpenGL example bundled with Qt, you may start with those.

8Observer8
4th August 2014, 15:02
Thank you! DirectX 11 is more simple. I will start from it. And I will study:
- DirectX 11 and C#
- OpenGL and Qt
- JavaFX 3D Graphics

Here https://netbeans.org/kb/trails/matisse.html I found the good tutorial. Move "Tutorials and Articles" -> "JavaFX 8 Developer Preview" -> "Getting Started with JavaFX 3D Graphics" And you will find: http://docs.oracle.com/javafx/8/3d_graphics/jfxpub-3d_graphics.htm

d_stranz
4th August 2014, 19:36
I can't see how studying three completely different 3D graphics systems (in 3 different programming languages) will help you learn about OpenGL and Qt. About all it will do is get you completely confused.

Stick to one of them. If you know C++, then OpenGL and Qt will be the best start.

8Observer8
4th August 2014, 19:55
I read that OpenGL is more difficult than DirectX. DirectX is more intuitive clear. I can jump from one subject to another. And I will be able to make a choice: Qt (OpenGL), Java (JavaFX 3D) or C# (DirectX). Now I don't know what I will like better. I will try them on practice.

wysota
5th August 2014, 08:20
I read that OpenGL is more difficult than DirectX. DirectX is more intuitive clear. I can jump from one subject to another. And I will be able to make a choice: Qt (OpenGL), Java (JavaFX 3D) or C# (DirectX). Now I don't know what I will like better. I will try them on practice.

You can use OpenGL with C++/Qt, C# or Java.

I'm not so sure that OpenGL is more difficult than DirectX, or rather Direct3D as DirectX per se is not an equivalent of OpenGL. And OpenGL works on all kinds of devices, Direct3D only works on Windows.

8Observer8
5th August 2014, 08:35
I want to use DirectX too. Can I use it with Qt and Java?

wysota
5th August 2014, 09:05
I want to use DirectX too. Can I use it with Qt and Java?

In theory you can. In theory...