PDA

View Full Version : QDockWidget freezes desktop when undocking

pdolbey
8th March 2007, 12:12
I'm just posting to see if anyone has ever seen strange (i.e. inconsistent) freezing of the desktop when undocking a QDockWidget from a QMainWindow. It happens on my app, but not immediately and can be unfrozen with a Crtl-Alt-Del. My GUI is based on the MonkeyStudio MainUi.ui layout, and that suffers from the same problem as well.

I'm using Qt 4.2.2 open source / VS2005 to link to OpenCascade.

Pete

No-Nonsense
8th March 2007, 13:09
I have exactly the same issue with QDockWidget as you noticed. Also with unlocking with Ctrl+Alt+Del (not killing the process). Moving the DockWidget afterwards freezes it again.
Worst: It happened the first time to me while giving a presentation of my work in progress application at my University.

I am using Qt 4.2.2 with MinGW under Windows XP Professional.

I could not identify any way to reproduce this "effect", but when it occurs one time in a session it will then occur always until rebooting Windows.

It must be a bug in Qt, because after it occured once, it occurs also with Qt Designer or other Trolltech Qt Apps/Examples.

I just figured out that it will happen on my IBM ThinkPad after resuming Windows from Standby.
I had my Laptop in Standby just before the presentation to conserve battery and be ready withing seconds.

Hmm this does not always work... and sometimes it works again after some time... ?!

-Jens

pdolbey
8th March 2007, 19:37
And I think I've managed to unblock the freezing in the past by forcing a recompile of QtCore(d).dll/QtGui(d).dll - but it might have been a coincidence.

Pete

TheKedge
9th March 2007, 11:34
I had that effect too. It was very reproducable. If I hit ctrl-alt-del the dock unfreezed and was freely movable and dockable. It happened again on undocking.

I think the update to 4.2.3 cured it.

K

No-Nonsense
9th March 2007, 15:34
I think the update to 4.2.3 cured it.

Didn't know it was available. It's downloading right now. :)

-Jens

pdolbey
12th March 2007, 15:47
The 4.2.3 upgrade isn't the most widely publicised Qt release I've ever seen:o . I'll download it tonight

Pee