PDA

View Full Version : Qt QML and C++ for embedded Linux Targets

SSqt5.2
22nd September 2014, 07:53
Hi All,
I am new with Qt, and working on Qt enterprise for embedded Linux platform.
Although i am going through the Qt-documentation online, I want some basic information like
1. Is QML must for Qt embedded Linux programming.
2. What level of Java is required ofr Qt programming or C++ is fine.
3. is there any book available explaining the basic Qt architectures and helping to start Qt on embedded targets?

Thanks in advance.

anda_skoa
22nd September 2014, 09:53
1. Is QML must for Qt embedded Linux programming.

QML is only a requirement if QtQuick2 is to be used for UI.

2. What level of Java is required ofr Qt programming or C++ is fine.

C++ is fine. Java is only even just interesting on platforms that use it as the main language, e.g. Android.

3. is there any book available explaining the basic Qt architectures and helping to start Qt on embedded targets?

I don't think there is a book for Qt5 yet, but there should be plenty of books for Qt4. The architecture didn't change much. The platform integration bits did but in most cases this is of no concern to application developers.

Cheers,
_

SSqt5.2
22nd September 2014, 11:03
Thanks For reply

aamer4yu
22nd September 2014, 11:25
Also if you learn to make Qt apps on Linux desktop, it wont be much an issue for compiling it for Embedded Linux.
Read the Qt documentation, examples to get familiar with Qt.

Also if interested in Design Patterns, there was a book Design patterns in Qt...

mostafanfs
9th July 2015, 09:39
QML is only a requirement if QtQuick2 is to be used for UI.

Sorry I didn't get this part. What's that supposed to mean?
Can I use QML with Qt4.8.6 (which is by the way the last version of Qt4, IIRC) ?
I have this Embedded Linux platform which only supports up to Qt4.8.6 so I was wondering can I use QML with this version of Qt?

anda_skoa
9th July 2015, 10:34
Sorry I didn't get this part. What's that supposed to mean?

It means if you want to use QtQuick as the UI technology, then you have to use QML as the language to describe the scene.
The original question was if QML was a requirement for Qt embedded programming. It is not, it is just a requirement for using QtQuick.

Can I use QML with Qt4.8.6 (which is by the way the last version of Qt4, IIRC) ?

Yes, QML (and QtQuick) was introduced in 4.7

Cheers,
_