PDA

View Full Version : Qt configuration for beginners

step1up
16th March 2007, 04:59
I'm a QT newbie, and I'm trying to use Qt 4.1.4 and Visual Studio 2005.
after following the instruction on " http://qtnode.net/wiki/Qt4_with_Visual_Studio " I still not able to pass through the configuration process.
when I run the following command (qconfigure msvc2005 -prefix C:\Qt4-shared -release -qt-gif -fast) and I answer yes twice, I get the following error:
Going to compile qmake now
Continue? (Y/N):y

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility Version 8.00.50727.42
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

NMAKE : fatal error U1073: don't know how to make '..\src\corelib\io\qresource.h'
Stop.

can somebody, please, tell me what I am missing
Thank you

step1up

wysota
17th March 2007, 13:19
Hard to say without knowing what you did earlier. It seems you're missing some files. You might try to follow this guide, maybe it'll work for you better: http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?title=Qt4_with_Visual_Studio

Dino
14th April 2007, 09:19
Thank god someone else getting the same error I am.

I've followed the tutorial very slowly, and gone over it again and again. I Can't see any step I missed.

I was following this tutorial at first.
http://kjellkod.blogspot.com/2007/02/qt4-on-free-ide-visual-studio-express.html

Everything was going fine up until this point.

I actually gave up and tried to use MinGW.

That actually went further and started to "compile", but came to another error, "mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target 'generators/win32/msvc_dsp.cpp', needed by 'msvc_dsp.o'. Stop.

Any help greatly appreciated.

wysota
14th April 2007, 09:22
That actually went further and started to "compile", but came to another error, "mingw32-make.exe: *** No rule to make target 'generators/win32/msvc_dsp.cpp', needed by 'msvc_dsp.o'. Stop.

Did you take a clean (unpatched) source tree when compiling for mingw?

As for the msvc issue - I know some other (than contained in our wiki) things are needed to make Qt4 work with the express edition, but I know it's possible and straightforward because the article was tested with the express edition. AFAIR it just needed an SDK to be present or something like that. Quoting a mail from Johan Thelin:

It seems to be possible to build this using the express edition of visual studio - however, it requires the platform sdk to be downloaded. I was a bit cheap when installing the latter, so I ran into a missing header file.

I've made it build now, and it works with the Express edition. However, I had to remove the styles and stylesheet examples... something odd happened there.

Maybe that's exactly the problem you are facing.

Dino
14th April 2007, 10:44
Hmm, well I had the SDK installed, but perhaps there were some settings I forgot.

I went thru this tutorial
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/usingpsdk/
and was successful, I got VC++ express to compile and run a blank application.

It's just compiling Qt that is killing me right now.

I noticed when I try to open a command prompt via Qt it cannot find 'qtvars.bat'
Not sure if that is suppose to be unpacked during compiling, but it dosen't seem like it should.

God I've spent all day baning my head against the wall on this.

I'm on vista, but I don't think thats suppose to make a difference.

wysota
14th April 2007, 14:47
I noticed when I try to open a command prompt via Qt it cannot find 'qtvars.bat'
The "command prompt" comes from mingw binary installation of Qt. If you compile from sources you won't have it. If you need and want it, you have to be sure qtvars.bat is in your %PATH%.

I'm on vista, but I don't think thats suppose to make a difference.
No, you're facing a compiler issue here.

I'd advise removing all Qt installations from your machine (use uninstallers where possible), rebooting the machine, downloading a clean Qt source bundle and going through the tutorial again. The bundles are tested before being released, so if you get any message about missing files, it means it is some build problem and not an error in source code.

Dino
15th April 2007, 01:40
Well figured it out, I downloaded the incorrect patch. Have to make sure I downloaded the exact patch for the version of Qt i downloaded. In my case it was 4.2.3. And I origionally downloaded the 4.3.x patch. I noticed a few of the patching operations failed, I should have paid closer attention to the patching process in the first place.

Thanks for the help.