PDA

View Full Version : Is the book "C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, Second Edition" really dated ?

Ayush
7th February 2015, 15:40
Correct me if I am wrong . I have read on many forums that Qt versions which are released after 4.6 are mainly focused on Qt quick and qml and not on Qt widgets because widgets have attained stability . Is that true ? If it is then then the books “C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, Second Edition “ and “Advanced Qt programming by Mark Summerfield “ which focus on Qt 4.3 and 4.6 respectively are not outdated if I want to learn only about Qt widgets and not about Qt quick . So, should I read those books ?

anda_skoa
7th February 2015, 16:00
Correct me if I am wrong .

Consider yourself corrected :)

I have read on many forums that Qt versions which are released after 4.6 are mainly focused on Qt quick and qml and not on Qt widgets because widgets have attained stability . Is that true ?

No

If it is then then the books “C++ GUI Programming with Qt 4, Second Edition “ and “Advanced Qt programming by Mark Summerfield “ which focus on Qt 4.3 and 4.6 respectively are not outdated if I want to learn only about Qt widgets and not about Qt quick . So, should I read those books ?

These books still contain a lot of knowledge applicable even to Qt5.
Especially, and not exclusively, if the UI is to use QtWidgets.

Cheers,
_

d_stranz
8th February 2015, 04:22
As far as I know, there aren't any books out yet on Qt 5. The basics of QtCore, QtGui, and QtWidgets in particular are pretty stable, and the few things that have changed between Qt4 and Qt5 are pretty easy to fix. The greatest changes are in the way the libraries and header files are organized and in deploying your app. Otherwise, QWidget code written against Qt4 will compile and run on Qt5 with only a few updates. QtQuick / QML are all new, and have changed a lot even within Qt5, as well as the OpenGL support. Qt3D will be coming back in Qt 5.5 or so.

I use Summerfeld's books all the time when I am puzzled about something, especially the advanced book. It doesn't cover everything, but it is still a good reference.

sandysandoro
8th February 2015, 22:49
Yes you haruc read his in order to resolve a concern