PDA

View Full Version : User permission inside the software

guidupas
25th February 2015, 17:08
Hello all!

I am developing a software for multiple users and I need to set permission about what each user can and cannot do inside the software, like access to software area's and so long.

Could someone help me with an article or a link about it?

Thanks in advance.

jefftee
25th February 2015, 17:27
Your post has nothing to do with Qt, so perhaps the "General Programming" (http://www.qtcentre.org/forums/9-General-Programming) forum is a better choice. That said, you have asked a wide open question and there are many, many ways to accomplish this.

Generally, it would be better the classify users into functional groups, otherwise known as role based access. You have to create a method of creating users of course and when you do, you would associate them with one or more functional groups like "Users", "Administrators", "Auditors", or whatever is appropriate for your application.

Typically you would store your users/groups in a database and verify user's sign ins against the database. Once the user signs in, you will know what access level is associated with that user. Then it's simple matter of coding your application so that you enable/disable or hide/show your applications features based on their group membership.

For example, if user joeblow signs in with "Users" authority, then you should disable any menu items or buttons that are only available to "Administrators".

This can all be part of your application logic or you can use your OS's authentication capabilities like LDAP for Unix systems, Active Directory for Windows, etc. It's up to you though to integrate these OS services or roll your own user authentication system, etc.

This is a very wide topic and I recommend you Google around for "role based access".

Good luck.

guidupas
25th February 2015, 17:34
Thanks jthomps. Sorry about the mistake about the topic creation. Just giving me where to start with google search helped me.

kaufenpreis
21st March 2015, 13:31
Please write what language do you want to use?

jefftee
21st March 2015, 19:34
Please write what language do you want to use?
Can you clarify what you are asking? I have no idea what you are referring to.