PDA

View Full Version : QDevelop QT Tutorial for beginners (Linux)

clive
23rd March 2007, 18:18
I have created a tutorial that beginners with Qt may find helpful.

http://www.clivecooper.co.uk/tutorial/index.html

jacek
23rd March 2007, 18:23
Nice, just few things:
it's Qt not QT,
step 6 in "Designing our window" (the one with vertical layout) isn't necessary,
since you mention Qt Forum in it, you could mention Qt Centre too. ;)

clive
23rd March 2007, 18:42
Thanks for the pointers and yes I will add a link to qtcentre.
I agree that the vertical layout is not needed but is used to demonstrate the difference between horizontal and vertical layouts.
The QtCentre link has been added to the page.

jacek
23rd March 2007, 19:19
I agree that the vertical layout is not needed but is used to demonstrate the difference between horizontal and vertical layouts.
You can use vertical layout instead of grid layout in the next step.

jacek
23rd March 2007, 19:24
And one more thing: Is that a permanent URL for this tutorial?

clive
24th March 2007, 11:09
Yes the link is permanent and I do intend adding more as time allows so it may be worth making the post sticky but that is up to you.

jacek
24th March 2007, 20:37
Yes the link is permanent
In case you were changing the link, drop me a line and I'll update it on our site.

GreyGeek
26th March 2007, 03:21
I noticed that you didn't mention a VERY IMPORTANT feature of QDevelop, namely "code completion".

If you were writing code and used, say, the QTextDocument API:
QTextDocument *doc = new QTextDocument();
doc->(here's where a dropdown combo box appears with all the methods and properties of "doc" visible for selection. If it doesn't automatically appear then you can use "ctrl+space) to make it pop up. IF it doesn't pop up, then more than likely you have syntactical problems in the code above. MS Visual Studio behaves the same.)

clive
27th March 2007, 21:27
Ha, yes you are right but unfortunately I am an old stick in the mud and there is no way I would even consider using code-completion.

But I agree I should have mentioned that it is available.