PDA

View Full Version : Interactive screen saver using Qt?

RolandHughes
22nd June 2015, 19:31
All,

Someone asked this today and I thought it would be interesting to post here. On the evil Redmond platform one can create an "interactive" screen saver. I don't work on the evil Redmond platform so they explained this as a screen saver which is basically an application that does not exit from any ol' user interaction. The user has to click on some defined exit button/link/etc.

In effect, until the user physically exits the application the computer is a single application machine.

The question which was posed to me is multiple parts.

1) Does Ubuntu (and YAU distros) provide such a thing as an "interactive screen saver" on all desktops?
2) If such a creature exists, at least in concept, on Ubuntu "could" it be written with Qt?
3) Assuming 1&2 are true has anyone actually done it or can they post a link to functioning code?

Thanks,

d_stranz
22nd June 2015, 19:47
Boy, that better be some bug-free code. Having to hit the reset button because your "interactive" screen saver has decided not to be would be strong inducement to delete it and demand a refund with damages.

anda_skoa
22nd June 2015, 23:04
That sounds more like a lock-screen application than a screen saver.

But if you really just need something that covers the whole screen, just write an application that has one window that covers the whole screen?

Cheers,
_

RolandHughes
22nd June 2015, 23:28
Actually, the client would be quite happy with that. This is a sales demo/kiosk type application. In other words, the client doesn't _want_ people messing with the machines.

anda_skoa
23rd June 2015, 10:13
Actually, the client would be quite happy with that. This is a sales demo/kiosk type application. In other words, the client doesn't _want_ people messing with the machines.

That does even more sound like just running a fullscreen application.

In a kiosk type situation one wouldn't usually even run anything else to reduce the "attack surface"

Cheers,
_