PDA

View Full Version : Qt Creator regarding Qt Creator use in screen capture of a commercial video

seafood
13th August 2015, 07:10
I'm still not completely sure this is the right place to ask, but here it is.

I wanted to make programming video tutorials. I may charge for these videos just to offset my costs.
My question is, can I show Qt Creator in the video screen capture for that purpose? I'd much rather show it than some other text editor.

As far as I understood, this is allowed considering http://www.qt.io/qt-licensing-terms/

(...)LGPL has been chosen as the primary open-source license for Qt, because it provides the following four degrees of freedom:

The freedom to run the program for any purpose.
(...)

If this is the case, do I need some commercial Qt license for that? Or are the commercial licenses needed only for actual applications made using Qt, and this is not applicable to other forms of work like a video?
Sorry if all of this is obvious, google really didn't help me and I don't want to breach any kind of copyright or license.

anda_skoa
13th August 2015, 10:12
QtCreator is Free Software under CopyLeft licenses.
It can be used for any purpose you want to. That's one of the primary rules of Copyleft licenses such as the GPL and LGPL.

Cheers,
_