PDA

View Full Version : QT4 minimum requirements Debian GNU/Linux Sarge

Everall
12th February 2006, 19:20
Hi,

I succeeded in installing Qt-4.1.1-snapshot-20060211 on a pentium 400 MHZ with 256 MB RAM. On my old box I had configured swap to be 300 MB.
I also installed the libraries and examples. So the whole bunch is there now.

It took about 10 hours, but it came through. During installation about 250 MB RAM was needed and an additional 50 MB swap maximum. The need for swapping made it so long.

It needed 1.3 GB of free disk space on /home and 603 MB on /usr/local

I hope this can help others with limited hardware resources. AFAIK there are no minimum hardware requirements on the Trolltech website when compiling the sources yourself.

Conclusion :
more than 300 MB RAM should do it without swapping
/home :minimum 1.3 GB free disk space
/usr/local : 603 MB minimum

Cheers

wysota
12th February 2006, 20:59
Conclusion :

It depends on compiler used (and switches active for it), so if you want your info to be complete, please state compiler version and switches used (for example the output of g++ -v).

Everall
13th February 2006, 08:56
It depends on compiler used (and switches active for it), so if you want your info to be complete, please state compiler version and switches used (for example the output of g++ -v).

So this is more complete :
Conclusion :

compiler used (output from g++ -v) :
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/3.3.5/specs
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,java,f77,pascal,objc,ada,treelang --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info--with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/3.3 --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit --with-system-zlib --enable-nls --without-included-gettext --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-debug --enable-java-gc=boehm --enable-java-awt=xlib --enable-objc-gci486-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc versie 3.3.5 (Debian 1:3.3.5-13)

configure options : I added postgresql and sqlite support.

Cheers

dimitri
19th February 2006, 13:20
Again it depends. Where do you build? Where do you install to?

Everall
19th February 2006, 14:03
Again it depends. Where do you build? Where do you install to?

I followed the instructions in the "INSTALL" file that came with the sources. I didn't use any options like -prefix.
The only thing I did differently was adding support for Postgresql and sqlite. (as I mentioned)

I can see some files are present in both my /home and /usr/local/ directories.
Any suggestions on how to minimize hard disk space for installation?

Cheers

dimitri
19th February 2006, 18:11
I followed the instructions in the "INSTALL" file that came with the sources. I didn't use any options like -prefix.
OK, but where do you build Qt?

I can see some files are present in both my /home and /usr/local/ directories.Any suggestions on how to minimize hard disk space for installation?
I don't know, what's in /home? Which files are present in both directories?

Everall
20th February 2006, 15:13
I decompressed the tar.gz file in /home/me/QT4/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.1-snapshot-20060215.
This is where I used ./configure and make.

In /usr/local/Trolltech I get the same map qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.1-snapshot-20060215

in /home 1.3 GB is used
in /etc/local/Trolltech : 616 MB

the file structure in both is almost identical.
For instance I can start designer from both paths.
The demo's and examples can be found twice too.
In /home i can find the makefiles, but not in /etc/local

I guess it would be better to untar and install in /etc/local/trolltech directly if disk space is an issue. (In my case this is not a problem)

Cheers

wysota
20th February 2006, 15:27
You can delete the whole tree from your Home directory. It's just for compilation purposes there. Or if you don't want to delete it, call "make distclean" in the directory where the top level Makefile resides. It should decrease its volume "a little".

Everall
21st February 2006, 10:29
Thanks Wysota, Dimitri.

That's a good tip to clean up your hard disk afterwards. I will rather stick with the temporary files, to experiment with.

Just for completeness another question :
If we untar and compile in /etc/local/Trolltech/qt-x11-opensource-src-4.1.1-snapshot-20060215t directly,
will all those duplicate files be avoided? (this could be interesting, because one would need less disk space during compilation)

Cheers

wysota
21st February 2006, 11:31
They'll be avoided but you won't be able to 'make install' and clean all unneeded files, so it's not worth it. If one lacks HD space, one just takes a binary distribution of Qt.

Everall
21st February 2006, 13:21
Thanks Wysota,

I was going to test it when I install another snapshot later on.

You saved me a lot of time.

Cheers