PDA

View Full Version : Load custom plugins after application startup.

rwhartzell
28th August 2015, 19:02
I know that my application plugins can be loaded during start up but is it possible to load plugins after an application has started? Can a plugin be loaded and made available without restarting my application?

d_stranz
28th August 2015, 20:20
As far as I know, you can load or unload a plugin at any time. It is customary to load them at startup, but there is no rule that says you have to do it then.

rwhartzell
28th August 2015, 20:31
My application uses "projects" where each type of project is contained within a plugin. So i was thinking that it would be nice if a user was able to download and install a plugin to gain access to a new project type without having to go through a shutdown and restart since multiple projects can be open at the same time.

Thanks for the info.

anda_skoa
29th August 2015, 13:00
As far as I know, you can load or unload a plugin at any time. It is customary to load them at startup, but there is no rule that says you have to do it then.
Most plugins are actually loaded on-demand, but that demand might be part of the startup routine (e.g. loading the platform plugin).
But for example database driver plugins are only loaded when the program specifically ask for one.

Cheers,
_

rwhartzell
29th August 2015, 17:58
Most plugins are actually loaded on-demand, but that demand might be part of the startup routine (e.g. loading the platform plugin).
But for example database driver plugins are only loaded when the program specifically ask for one.

Cheers,
_

Doesn't this only apply to Qt's plugins and not to my applications plugins which are loaded when I call a method to load them?

anda_skoa
29th August 2015, 18:24
Doesn't this only apply to Qt's plugins and not to my applications plugins which are loaded when I call a method to load them?

This applies to all plugins.
A Plugin is by definition something that is not a fixed part of the host application.

Cheers,
_

rwhartzell
29th August 2015, 18:36
This applies to all plugins.
A Plugin is by definition something that is not a fixed part of the host application.

Cheers,
_

Ok i see what your saying, guess I read your comment with too quickly and missed your point.
Thanks for the info.