PDA

View Full Version : Use of repaint/update

Placido Currò
2nd April 2007, 09:53
Hi everybody,

my old qt3 application had to draw on a qmainwindow outside the paintevent. It happened outside the main loop as well. Now everything changes.

Are QWidget::updates() and QWidget::repaint() valid only inside the main loop ?

I the repaint() heavier and slower than update() ?

Thank you for your attention !

jacek
2nd April 2007, 10:53
my old qt3 application had to draw on a qmainwindow outside the paintevent.
You can set Qt::WA_PaintOutsidePaintEvent widget attribute, but it works only under X11.

What does "inside the main loop" exactly mean? Do you use threads?

update() just posts an event, which will be processed by the event loop, repaint() repaints the widget immediately.

high_flyer
2nd April 2007, 10:54
my old qt3 application had to draw on a qmainwindow outside the paintevent.
This is not possible in Qt4.
In Qt4 all drawing must take place in the paintEvent().

Yes.

The difference is not of that kind since painting is only done in paintEvent().
The difference is in the way paintEvent() is called as a result.
repaint() calles paintEvent() immidiently, where as update() posts an event in a way that allows Qt to schedule it in the best way (optimized).

Beat to it by Jacek :)

Eldritch
3rd April 2007, 19:24
Is the repaint() heavier and slower than update() ?!

That depends. :D By using update(), the paint system can 'accumulate' a region that needs repainting and thus optimize painting somewhat. There is overhead invovled in setting up to paint in the acquisition and release of system resources.

If you're calling repaint() a lot and always redrawing the entire window, you could drag performance down a lot.

Basically, try to avoid repaint() in a tight loop. Ideally, you should get something 'good enough' using regular update() calls (with a region, of course).

And as the others have posted, repaint() immediately sends a paintEvent() rather than accumulating an invalidated region until the system is ready for you to paint, so it may incur more overhead when done often.