PDA

View Full Version : Qt on Windows and Linux

Shuchi Agrawal
11th April 2007, 13:23
hi all,
Can anyone guide me that how can i know that wht are all the system calls made by Qt APIs and how can i measure the performance of Qt application on the basis of memory and CPU speed on windows and Linux so that i can compare them.
Any help will be highly appreciated.
thanks
Shuchi

smacchia
11th April 2007, 17:02
You can use gprof (http://www.cs.utah.edu/dept/old/texinfo/as/gprof.html)

As a start you can simply run top to see how much CPU/memory your program is consuming.

HTH,
Susan

wysota
11th April 2007, 17:25
I don't know if measuring system calls is a good way to compare the systems. Linux and Windows differ very much and their system call architecture and design differ very much as well so simply counting syscalls may not give any decent results.

Shuchi Agrawal
12th April 2007, 08:05
I don't know if measuring system calls is a good way to compare the systems. Linux and Windows differ very much and their system call architecture and design differ very much as well so simply counting syscalls may not give any decent results.

I don't want to compare the systems on the basis of system calls, but for my own information i wanted to know that how internally things are done.So can you tell me if there is any way to know it?
thanks in advance :)

wysota
12th April 2007, 09:26
But why on a syscall level? Syscalls used depend on the C/C++ libraries used. If you change the library, different syscalls might be used (or not). I don't think I can help you with that. In case of Linux you can create and add a small kernel module to count all syscall occurences, if you wish :)